ROCOR and Moscow Orthodox Mother Church joining together,

  • weaver322001
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
      I am rather new as Russian Orthodox, but from my understanding, I think
      that the church of Moscow is interested and willing to join other
      churches including the church of Rome, anotherwards ecumenical
      beginnings will be surfacing. So if this is the case, then I guess we
      will not be the ROCOR church who stood alone for so many years not
      wanting to give up the 'truth' of our tradition and scriptures, as we
      will be somehwat infiltrated with other doctrines?? We know Rome church
      has some beliefs the same, but of course we know the differences, and
      what they have changed over the years, and why the schism happened in
      1054 to begin with. Our differences in belief of sola scriptura with
      Protestantsalso will be something that would need to be ironed out if
      this happened I would think? Where will we be in the future? Will this
      start a one world order and gov't and religion?

      Just asking. As being new to it all, just a couple years baptised, I do
      wonder, but guess I should ask my spiritual father first, but thought
      maybe someone here could shed some light on my worries? Am also just
      one day new to this site,, am glad I found you, as it is good to have
      others on this journey of faith and many who certainly understand much
      more then I.

      In Christ,

      Katrina
    • johnswensen12
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
        I have a friend in the Russian Church Abroad who told me that the
        Moscow Patriarchate was "in Communion with the Roman Catholic Church"
        because they supposedly allow Catholics to take Communion in Orthodox
        Churches and because they allow Orthodox in certain circumstances to
        partake of communion consecrated by a Uniate priest. I did not know
        how to answer my friend especially since this kind of behavior is one
        of the reasons our Church does not have altogether good relations with
        the Antiochian Archdiocese, namely their Communing of Monophysite
        heretics in the Patriarchate. How should i respond to my friend who
        thinks that our Church is making a tragic mistake in joining with the
        MP for this and other reasons?
        John Swensen

        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "weaver322001" <weaver32@...>

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007
          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "johnswensen12" <johnswensen12@...>
          wrote:

          > I have a friend in the Russian Church Abroad who told me that the
          > Moscow Patriarchate was "in Communion with the Roman Catholic Church"
          > ... How should i respond to my friend who
          > thinks that our Church is making a tragic mistake in joining with the
          > MP for this and other reasons?

          JRS: What you quote your friend as saying, is simply misinformation.

          It may be that some priests admit non-Orthodox to communion (but with large
          congregations, non-Orthodox who know how to behave may simply not be spotted).

          That some Russian clergy, including even old-time ROCOR clergy, could tell their
          parishioners it was permissible to communicate in Roman Catholic or other churches, is a
          long-standing problem.

          There are far too many ROCOR laity who also believe that "God is the same for everybody",
          and therefore smile upon their children marrying non-Orthodox and raising their posterity
          outside the Church.

          But, when people say that, one can also remind them that "Satan is also the same for
          everybody!"

          > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "weaver322001" <weaver32@>
          > wrote:
          > > churches including the church of Rome, anotherwards ...

          JRS: If you look in the dictionary, you will find that there is no such word as
          "anotherwards".

          It's a misspelling for "in other words".

        • Carol
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007
            Dear Fr John,

            Am surprised that someone as yourself, would stoop so low as to correct ( publically) peoples spelling.
            First of all, I am the one who wrote 'anotherwards', but am not the one who wrote about the Russian 'friend', so you were speaking to TWO seperate people at once, only correcting, MY spelling, not my words.

            In my writing, I said, that I was NEW to Orthodox faith and ASKED questions did not STATE anything about the 'friend' but that from my understanding in the future we could end up joining the ecumenical movement. The 'thoughts' were similiar, but the speakers entirely dfferent. This was my concern, and I made that clear. I wondered what others thought on this matter...

            Be careful whom are are answering in the future. The spelling is not half as important as the 'meaning' of the words spoken. AGAIN, I am not the same person who wrote BOTH , so YOU evidently are misinformed on the person to be corrected, unless you were trying to answer TWO postings, at once?.

            Besides this other person was just , I believe, making a point of something, they BELIEVED to be true from WORDS of someone else, not their own.

            You are forgiven, by me anyway, for your 'public' correction on such a personal account as spelling. When I joined this group I did not join to have people correct my spelling, I am not in class. You may e-mail me in 'private' to correct me, though. I can accept criticism, do not mind at all, but this kind of criticism is not called for on this PUBLIC site. Maybe the topic, is TOO HOT for you, but we cannot help that, we are only asking questions from people who we think may be more informed,. From now on I will ask my spiritual father the Dean of the monastery/seminary in which I attend church. Or even the priest who is a teacher, at the seminary and my husbands, godfather. I will not bother to post here, to have spelling corrected, as to 'bring someone down' ( He will be coming soon, to bless our home.)

            May the Lord shine His blessings on you.

            In Christ,

            Katherine

            > I have a friend in the Russian Church Abroad who told me that the
            > Moscow Patriarchate was "in Communion with the Roman Catholic Church"
            > ... How should i respond to my friend who
            > thinks that our Church is making a tragic mistake in joining with the
            > MP for this and other reasons?

            JRS: What you quote your friend as saying, is simply misinformation.

            It may be that some priests admit non-Orthodox to communion (but with large
            congregations, non-Orthodox who know how to behave may simply not be spotted).

            That some Russian clergy, including even old-time ROCOR clergy, could tell their
            parishioners it was permissible to communicate in Roman Catholic or other churches, is a
            long-standing problem.

            There are far too many ROCOR laity who also believe that "God is the same for everybody",
            and therefore smile upon their children marrying non-Orthodox and raising their posterity
            outside the Church.

            But, when people say that, one can also remind them that "Satan is also the same for
            everybody!"

            > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "weaver322001" <weaver32@>
            > wrote:
            > > churches including the church of Rome, anotherwards ...

            JRS: If you look in the dictionary, you will find that there is no such word as
            "anotherwards".

            It's a misspelling for "in other words".

          • DDD
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007

              ?

              but this kind of
              �criticism is not called for on this PUBLIC site. Maybe the topic, is
              �TOO HOT for you, but we cannot help that, we are only asking
              �questions from people who we think may be more informed,. From now
              �on I will ask my spiritual father the Dean of the monastery/seminary
              �in which I attend church. Or even the priest who is a teacher, at
              �the seminary and my husbands, godfather. I will not bother to post
              �here, to have spelling corrected, as to 'bring someone down' ( He
              �will be coming soon, to bless our home.)

              I think Fr. John is just *very* scholarly and takes his spelling *very* seriously, that's all! You'll see that others get proofread, too! :) Don't be upset with him....

              Cheers,
              Dimitra Dwelley

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007
                --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <weaver32@...> wrote:

                > Am surprised that someone as yourself, would stoop so low as to correct (publically)
                >peoples spelling.

                JRS: Let me assure you I had no ill intent.

                Years ago, when I was in college and sometimes wrote letters in Russian to certain of our
                bishops, I sometimes got (quite kindly) corrections in their replies.

                As a result, I learned something each time.

                There is no shame in making a mistake, but now at least you know about "in other words".

                > AGAIN, I am not the same person who wrote BOTH , so YOU evidently are misinformed
                > on the person to be corrected, unless you were trying to answer TWO postings, at once?

                JRS: Why not? It's common enough practice on the internet.

                > I can accept criticism, do not mind at all, but this kind of criticism is not called for
                > on this PUBLIC site.

                JRS: Obviously you have not been on the internet long, or else you would have seen how
                people have attacked *me* over the years: and they can be a lot nastier than making
                grammatical corrections!

                > I will not bother to post here, to have spelling corrected, as to 'bring someone down'

                JRS: I was in no way trying to "bring you down".

                I was not even sure who had written "anotherwards".

                To be sure, people react to things in different ways.

                In this case, I think you are over-reacting.

              • Carol
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007
                  Thank you. Have been known to 'over-react' , on occassion. Sorry. Still learning to talk less, and listen more, in order to learn . A very good lesson.