Re: Does "Canonical Release" Equal Recognition?

  • polychrony
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 4, 2007
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Athanasios Jayne"
      <athanasiosj@...> wrote:

      > > I'm interested why he is upset about this
      > disclosure...<<
      >
      > Greetings Dimitra!

      [snip]

      > To my mind, to Chrismate or Baptize/Chrismate
      > one who has already been made a member of the
      > Orthodox Church of Greece though Orthodox
      > Baptism and Chrismation, is Praxis Proof
      > of their true position, i.e., that "the New
      > Calendar is graceless" (as they put it), which
      > is for all intents and purposes an ecclesiology
      > identical to that of the Matthewites.
      >
      > Since I do not share this opinion, I must and
      > do regard those who hold it as schismatic, and
      > also blasphemers of the Holy Mysteries of Christ,
      > because they repeat that which cannot be repeated,
      > according to the Apostolic Canons of the Church.
      >
      > I would go so far as to say that those Orthodox
      > who are Chrismated by them, have in truth been
      > Extinguished by them, and those who have been
      > Baptized by them, far from being Illumined,
      > have been blackened and stained by adulterous
      > waters, even as the blessed Hieromartyr
      > St. Cyprian of Carthage bears sure witness.
      >
      > Those who deny the Baptism of the Church cannot
      > possess the Baptism of the Church, which is One,
      > and her Baptism also is One. Those who deny the
      > Grace of the Spirit cannot possess the Grace
      > of the Spirit, because they lie, and the Spirit
      > is the Spirit of Truth.
      >
      > Athanasios.

      While what you write is true at a basic level, the actual
      considerations are more complex and nuanced.

      How are Orthodox from anti-ecumenial (sic, ff.) jurisdictions received
      into the pro-ecumenial jurisdictions? If by chrismation (via
      ~oikonomia~), that is the same as receiving by baptism. So all that
      sanctions you list depends upon the question of whether Ecumenism is
      compliant with Orthodox doctrine or not.

      You write, "I do not share this opinion"; and if it truly a matter of
      "opinion"", as opposed to a vetted doctrine, then one must give some
      accommodation for mistaken ecclesiastical policies.

      While sharp dividing lines of when someone is "in" or "out" of
      Orthodoxy may be what simple church congregants or leaders want and
      understand, the truth may be far more subtle.

      Polychronios
    • David-Constantine Wright
      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 5, 2007
        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "polychrony" <Polychrony@...>
        wrote:

        > How are Orthodox from anti-ecumenial (sic, ff.) jurisdictions
        > received into the pro-ecumenial jurisdictions? If by chrismation

        When I returned to the canonical Orthodox Church (Greek Archdiocese)
        from the Florinite Old Calendarist Milan Synod I was received by
        confession.

        In Christ Jesus Made Flesh,
        Rd. David-C

        Reader David-Constantine Wright
        constantinewright@...
        http://constans_wright.tripod.com
        "God became Human so that human beings could become gods."
        ---- St. Athanasius the Great, *On the Incarnation*