MP ecumenical attitude

  • Bushunow, Peter
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2007
      MP Patriarch joins Pope Benedict, Kofi Annan, Archbishop of Canterbury, and Patriarch Bartholomew in ecumenical greeting.
      A little background:
      Taizé, in the south of Burgundy, France, is the home of an international, ecumenical community, founded there in 1940 by Brother Roger. The brothers are committed for their whole life to material and spiritual sharing, to celibacy, and to a great simplicity of life. Today, the community is made up of over a hundred brothers, Catholics and from various Protestant backgrounds, from more than twenty-five nations.
      At the heart of daily life in Taizé are three times of prayer together. The brothers live by their own work. They do not accept gifts or donations for themselves. Some of the brothers are living in small groups - "fraternities" - among the very poor.
      Since the late 1950s, many thousands of young adults from many countries have found their way to Taizé to take part in weekly meetings of prayer and reflection. In addition, Taizé brothers make visits and lead meetings, large and small, in Africa, North and South America, Asia, and in Europe, as part of a "pilgrimage of trust on earth".

      For their current meeting in Zagreb, Patriarch Alexy joins in ecumenical greetings
      " May this meeting strengthen you in your determination to make your journey a true pilgrimage and may it help you find good companions for the journey and to realize that God is with us and helps us." He doesn't mention anything about Orthodoxy being the true church, simply wishes the young people "realize that God is with us."
      http://www.taize.fr/en_article4203.html

      are addressed. If you have received this email in error please delete it from your system.

      This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for
      the presence of computer viruses.

      Thank You,
      Viahealth
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2007
        In a message dated 1/4/2007 5:00:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        peter.bushunow@... writes:

        For their current meeting in Zagreb, Patriarch Alexy joins in ecumenical
        greetings
        " May this meeting strengthen you in your determination to make your journey
        a true pilgrimage and may it help you find good companions for the journey
        and to realize that God is with us and helps us." He doesn't mention anything
        about Orthodoxy being the true church, simply wishes the young people
        "realize that God is with us."

        Dear Peter!

        I know that you genuinely feel that your heart is in the right place, but I
        am not at all sure about your head. I read all of the greetings, and that's
        what they were, greetings, not liturgies, not even joint prayers, and found
        them to be very good, Christian sentiments, of the variety I would expect and
        appreciate from my priest or bishop as well. No where in the Gospels, or for
        that matter, any of the Church fathers, does it define Orthodoxy as being a
        manifestation of antagonistic and insensitive jerks. Certainly Christ never
        did that, and he even praised a Samaritan heretic. Why does everything have
        to be so negative? That frightens more people away from Orthodoxy than any
        positive greetings or prayers would.

        I'm all for the MP's "ecumenical attitude," if that's what you want to call
        it. You and your kind can continue to wallow in your bitterness and become
        what splinter groups always become -- irrelevant sects and historical
        footnotes.

        In Christ - hoping that he might warm your heart

        Vova H.

      • Archpriest David Moser
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2007
          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Bushunow, Peter"
          <peter.bushunow@...> wrote:

          > For their current meeting in Zagreb, Patriarch Alexy joins in
          ecumenical greetings
          > " May this meeting strengthen you in your determination to make your
          journey a true pilgrimage and may it help you find good companions for
          the journey and to realize that God is with us and helps us." He
          doesn't mention anything about Orthodoxy being the true church, simply
          wishes the young people "realize that God is with us."
          > http://www.taize.fr/en_article4203.html

          Thank you for this heartwarming news. I am familiar with Taize since
          I did a thesis on Christian Communities in my Social Psych class back
          in undergrad school and this community was one that I used as an
          example. The well known protestant Christian philosopher, the late
          Frank Shaeffer, was closely associated with this group.

          It is heartwarming to see that Patriarch Alexii would take such and
          interest in people who are fervently searching for the path to
          salvation that he would greet them and encourage them with the
          ultimate hymn of this feast of the Incarnation of our Lord - "God is
          with us." He has sown the seed, let us each water that seed with our
          prayers that it might sprout in the hearts of those who received it
          and grow and bear fruit.

          Archpr David Moser