Re: Does "Canonical Release" Equal Recognition?

  • Athanasios Jayne
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 3, 2007
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com,
      "Aleksandr Andreev" <aleksandr.andreev@...> wrote:

      >>...While I have no information on this particular
      case, knowing Vladika Lavr, Iwould hypothesize that he
      is acting out of economia in not suspending the priest
      (as he should do, if he acted out of akrevia). Vladika
      is usuallylenient to people's bizarre ideas, as long
      as they do not attempt to take others into schism
      with them...<<

      Well, I live not far from Endicott, nY, and
      have spoken to people who know the parishioners
      involved, and my understanding is that the
      parishioners are leaving ROCOR with their
      Priest to join these Old Calendarists.

      "Bishop Christodoulos" has even boasted
      about the beautiful architecture of their
      new building, which is already nearly complete!
      Evidently, it has been "in the works" for some
      time--at least on their side.

      When I fist became Orthodox a few years ago,
      the nearest ROCOR Priest in Phoenix defected
      to the Matthewites, just after Met. Vitaly's
      stormy retirement (I was there when he returned
      the Antimense to Fr. Alexander Lebedeff at the
      airport), taking part of his flock with him.
      Now, I move to NY State, and the nearest ROCOR
      Priest defects to the Chyrostomites, taking his
      flock with him as well.

      For myself, I hope that in the future our Bishops
      will not let them go so easily--or return as
      Clergy so easily. My impression is that many
      of these convert Clergy in particular, had mistaken
      notions concerning what ROCOR was and is really
      about, and that the dialogue and reconciliation
      with the MP has finally disabused them of their
      illusions. It's not that they have left us, it's
      that they were never really with us in the
      first place. For them, it seems, they were not
      joining the Russian Orthodox Church Outside
      Russia, operating under the canonical authority
      of an emergency and temporary Ukaz, rather, they
      were (in their own minds) joining "anti-ecumenism."

      But they trade Orthodoxy for anti-ecumenism to
      their loss and at their peril. It is a negation,
      lifeless, and as such is devoid of the Charism
      of Unity which comes from the Holy Spirit and
      makes the Church One: One Lord, One Faith, One
      Baptism, One Bread, One Body.

      "A schismatic will not inherit the kingdom of
      heaven."

      (Hieromartyr Ignatios of Antioch)

      Athanasios.
    • David-Constantine Wright
      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 5, 2007
        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "polychrony" <Polychrony@...>
        wrote:

        > How are Orthodox from anti-ecumenial (sic, ff.) jurisdictions
        > received into the pro-ecumenial jurisdictions? If by chrismation

        When I returned to the canonical Orthodox Church (Greek Archdiocese)
        from the Florinite Old Calendarist Milan Synod I was received by
        confession.

        In Christ Jesus Made Flesh,
        Rd. David-C

        Reader David-Constantine Wright
        constantinewright@...
        http://constans_wright.tripod.com
        "God became Human so that human beings could become gods."
        ---- St. Athanasius the Great, *On the Incarnation*