Does "Canonical Release" Equal Recognition?

  • Aleksandr Andreev
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 3, 2007
      Usually when someone leaves for a jurisdiction such as the "Holy Metropolis
      of the
      Genuine Greek Orthodox Church of North and South America", which does not
      maintain communion with anyone, they are placed under suspension. Even in
      other cases, such as when Bishop Evtikhi, back as an Igumen (Abbot) left the
      Moscow Patriarchate for the ROCOR, he was suspended by his MP bishop. That
      suspension has been recently lifted.

      While I have no information on this particular case, knowing Vladika Lavr, I
      would hypothesize that he is acting out of economia in not suspending the
      priest (as he should do, if he acted out of akrevia). Vladika is usually
      lenient to people's bizarre ideas, as long as they do not attempt to take
      others into schism with them.

      In a case I know of personally, Vladika Kirill did not place someone under
      suspention for leaving for the "Matthewites" because they didn't attempt to
      take the whole parish with them. The problem occurs when priests leaving for
      "exotic places" either attempt to take some of the parishioners or all the
      real estate with them.

      Aleksandr Andreev
      Duke University
      aleksandr.andreev@...
      http://www.duke.edu/~aa63/

    • David-Constantine Wright
      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 5, 2007
        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "polychrony" <Polychrony@...>
        wrote:

        > How are Orthodox from anti-ecumenial (sic, ff.) jurisdictions
        > received into the pro-ecumenial jurisdictions? If by chrismation

        When I returned to the canonical Orthodox Church (Greek Archdiocese)
        from the Florinite Old Calendarist Milan Synod I was received by
        confession.

        In Christ Jesus Made Flesh,
        Rd. David-C

        Reader David-Constantine Wright
        constantinewright@...
        http://constans_wright.tripod.com
        "God became Human so that human beings could become gods."
        ---- St. Athanasius the Great, *On the Incarnation*