Re: Does "Canonical Release" Equal Recognition?

    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 3, 2007
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Athanasios Jayne" <athanasiosj@...> wrote:

      > My question is: Does such a "canonical release"
      > mean that the party which the "released" person
      > subsequently joins is recognized thereby? In other
      > words, does a canonical release necessarily mean
      > that Met. Laurus in this instance is recognizing
      > the "Holy Metropolis" as a legitimate Orthodox
      > body? I fear that some people will interpret it so,
      > and that this is why "Bishop Christodoulos" was
      > careful to include this info. in his announcement.

      JRS: The fact that a canonical release was granted, shows that ROCOR recognizes Bishop
      Christodoulos' church as being Orthodox, as opposed to "outside the Church", or
      "graceless".

      However, it does not mean that we recognize any other jurisdictional claims put forward
      by the "Holy Metropolis".

      For example, there are "canonical transfers" between the Greek Archdiocese and the OCA,
      even though the Ecumenical Patriarchate does not recognize the autocephaly claim of the
      OCA.

      But they do recognize the OCA as being Orthodox.

    • David-Constantine Wright
      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 5, 2007
        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "polychrony" <Polychrony@...>
        wrote:

        > How are Orthodox from anti-ecumenial (sic, ff.) jurisdictions
        > received into the pro-ecumenial jurisdictions? If by chrismation

        When I returned to the canonical Orthodox Church (Greek Archdiocese)
        from the Florinite Old Calendarist Milan Synod I was received by
        confession.

        In Christ Jesus Made Flesh,
        Rd. David-C

        Reader David-Constantine Wright
        constantinewright@...
        http://constans_wright.tripod.com
        "God became Human so that human beings could become gods."
        ---- St. Athanasius the Great, *On the Incarnation*