[orthodox-synod] Re: Morally speaking

  • Sandra Thompson
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 10, 2000
      Just this afternoon I heard on NPR that the pope was going to apologize for
      everything from the Crusades to the Inquisitions.
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 10, 2000
        Amazing, isn't it?

        Why, the newspapers say exactly what I say they have been saying! Thank
        you for pointing that out.

        However, even if that were not so, since what the pope does or does not do
        is no concern of ours, I was merely pointing out the impossibility of
        apologizing for what you, yourself, did not do. Such a gesture, however
        well intended, is morally meaningless.

        One of my ancestors was "king of Jerusalem." Shall I apologize for the
        crusades, as the pope apparently plans to do?

        It would make no sense. I never killed any Muslims or Jews or Greeks, nor
        have I ever wanted any even hurt (much less killed).

        What do you want to bet the man who tried to make me seem, if not stupid,
        then unable to read with comprehension, never apologizes, nor sees any need
        to?

        It's that last part that ought to worry some of us. In that direction lies
        the mouth of hell.

        Father Andrew