[orthodox-synod] Re: Morally speaking

  • LJames6034@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8, 2000
      If the pope is not going to ask forgiveness for the many sins of the Roman
      Church, as you think, Father, then: We must be reading different
      newspapers.

      ALJJ+
    • Fr-Athanasios
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 8, 2000
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 10, 2000
          Just this afternoon I heard on NPR that the pope was going to apologize for
          everything from the Crusades to the Inquisitions.
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 10, 2000
            Amazing, isn't it?

            Why, the newspapers say exactly what I say they have been saying! Thank
            you for pointing that out.

            However, even if that were not so, since what the pope does or does not do
            is no concern of ours, I was merely pointing out the impossibility of
            apologizing for what you, yourself, did not do. Such a gesture, however
            well intended, is morally meaningless.

            One of my ancestors was "king of Jerusalem." Shall I apologize for the
            crusades, as the pope apparently plans to do?

            It would make no sense. I never killed any Muslims or Jews or Greeks, nor
            have I ever wanted any even hurt (much less killed).

            What do you want to bet the man who tried to make me seem, if not stupid,
            then unable to read with comprehension, never apologizes, nor sees any need
            to?

            It's that last part that ought to worry some of us. In that direction lies
            the mouth of hell.

            Father Andrew