[orthodox-synod] Re: Morally speaking

  • Fr-Athanasios
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8, 2000
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: <LJames6034@...>
      To: <orthodox-synod@egroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2000 7:41 AM
      Subject: [orthodox-synod] Morally speaking

      Wednesday, March 08, 2000 7:41 AM Father Andrew writes:
      >Hence, an apology will be given by one who did not commit the
      >offense, and paid to those who are not present to receive whatever reward
      may
      > Father Andrew

      >From what was said on the news last night no apology to be given
      or forgiveness asked to anyone was mentioned. The details from
      what was said is that "on Sunday the pope will kiss a crucifix and
      will ask Christ for forgiveness"

      Fr. Athanasios
    • LJames6034@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 8, 2000
        If the pope is not going to ask forgiveness for the many sins of the Roman
        Church, as you think, Father, then: We must be reading different
        newspapers.

        ALJJ+
      • Fr-Athanasios
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 8, 2000
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 10, 2000
            Just this afternoon I heard on NPR that the pope was going to apologize for
            everything from the Crusades to the Inquisitions.
            > Wednesday, March 08, 2000 7:41 AM Father Andrew writes:
            > >Hence, an apology will be given by one who did not commit the
            > >offense, and paid to those who are not present to receive whatever reward
            > may
            > > Father Andrew
            >
            > >From what was said on the news last night no apology to be given
            > or forgiveness asked to anyone was mentioned. The details from
            > what was said is that "on Sunday the pope will kiss a crucifix and
            > will ask Christ for forgiveness"
            >
            > Fr. Athanasios

            > Please visit www.egroups.com to update your profile. Your real name,
            parish name and city (and affiliation, if not ROCA) are required, but it is
            your choice as to whether or not your profile is visible to others. If you
            don't have web access, e-mail this same information to
            orthodox-synod-owner@egroups.com

          • LJames6034@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 10, 2000
              Amazing, isn't it?

              Why, the newspapers say exactly what I say they have been saying! Thank
              you for pointing that out.

              However, even if that were not so, since what the pope does or does not do
              is no concern of ours, I was merely pointing out the impossibility of
              apologizing for what you, yourself, did not do. Such a gesture, however
              well intended, is morally meaningless.

              One of my ancestors was "king of Jerusalem." Shall I apologize for the
              crusades, as the pope apparently plans to do?

              It would make no sense. I never killed any Muslims or Jews or Greeks, nor
              have I ever wanted any even hurt (much less killed).

              What do you want to bet the man who tried to make me seem, if not stupid,
              then unable to read with comprehension, never apologizes, nor sees any need
              to?

              It's that last part that ought to worry some of us. In that direction lies
              the mouth of hell.

              Father Andrew