[orthodox-synod] Thee/Thou vs. You/Who

  • Subdeacon John
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2000
      A portion of the Gospel reading appointed for
      today on the Church calendar from Luke 22:

      31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold,
      Satan hath desired to have you,
      that he may sift you as wheat:
      32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith
      fail not: and when thou art converted,
      strengthen thy brethren.

      It never registered with me before that the Lord
      is stating that Satan's desire to sift applies to
      all the Apostles, and not just to the Apostle Peter,
      since the Lord doesn't say 'hath desired to sift THEE',
      but rather He uses the plural in saying 'hath desired
      to sift YOU'.

      This seems to me even another reason for keeping translations
      that use Thee/Thou, because translations that just employ
      You/Who may mask the true sense of certain passages like this one.

      Love in Christ,
      Subdeacon John
      ROCOR