[orthodox-synod] The Romanovs

  • LJames6034@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2000
      Since I more books than I can possibly read, I wonder why I buy more?

      Nevertheless, because I have an abiding interest in the Romanovs, and because
      there is a new book (written by John Curtis Perry and Constantine Pershakov)
      about the Romanovs called The Flight of the Romanovs, I have ordered it.

      A blurb in the advertising says: "This one. . . focuses on the other
      Romanovs--Nicholas's mother, siblings, uncles, and cousins. And what a
      marvelously odd bunch they are. From the assassination of Alexander II to
      the death of the last grand duchess in 1960, The Flight of the Romanovs is
      biolgraphy on a grand scale. . . ."

      If it wouldn't bore you all, if it is worth reading, I'll let you know what I
      think.

      The last Grand Duchess, Tsar Nicholas's aunt Olga (was it?) lived over a
      barber shop in Toronto, for many years. I presume she is the one meant. Her
      friends had to persuade her to buy a new dress to visit with her niece (by
      marriage, and cousin by blood), the Queen of England.

      Reality is sometimes shocking, but it is always "real"---albeit subject to
      interpretation. So it is with the Romanovs, as it was with the Stewarts,
      the Hohenzollerans, the Hohenzolleran-Sigmarins, etc., etc.

      Lord Acton's dictum remains true: "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute
      power corrupts absolutely."

      Or, that wonderful ending of the poem that speaks of an inscription on the
      base for a statue, now having only two vast and trunkless legs. The
      inscription reads: "My name is Ozimandez, king of kings. Look upon my
      works, ye mighty, and despair."

      Some French monarchists I know want to make His Most Catholic Majesty, Louis
      XVI, a "saint."

      I am not among them.

      I comfort myself with the past. In some ways, it is the only place (besides
      England) where I actually feel at home.

      Father Andrew
    • FrMichaelC@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2000
        In a message dated 3/3/00 12:18:41 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        LJames6034@... writes:

        << Reality is sometimes shocking, but it is always "real"---albeit subject to
        interpretation. So it is with the Romanovs, as it was with the Stewarts,
        the Hohenzollerans, the Hohenzolleran-Sigmarins, etc., etc.

        Lord Acton's dictum remains true: "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute
        power corrupts absolutely."

        The posting is titled "Re: the Romanovs". It is made more or less on the
        anniversary of Nicholas II's abdication. Is Fr. Andrew saying that Nicholas
        II was "absolutely corrupted" by the power he held as a sovereign? If not,
        why is Acton's snide quote even mentioned?

        This is, after all, a synod list, and St. Nicholas the Tsar-martyr is
        lovingly venerated by, I would suspect, the vast majority of subscribers.
        Innuendos about "corrupt autocrats", or , for that matter, "bloody Nicholas"
        or "the oppression of the workers" might find a more congenial home in places
        like trotskyite.com or the like.

        Incidently, public liturgical veneration of St. Nicholas is growing and
        everywhere evident in Moscow these days. I was in Russia in October, and
        akathists were being served daily in front of a myrrh-gushing icon of him
        (that had arrived from St. Petersburg). There are many beautiful icons of him
        in new or newly restored churches- often, as at the Sretensky monastery and
        the church of St. Nicholas on Bolshaya Ordynka, on the iconostasis. (The
        above churches are all in the Patriarchate.)

        priest Michael Carney