[orthodox-synod] "Woe to those who call evil good"

  • Dr. Elizabeth W. Riggs
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2000
      Received this from a friend. Thought you might be interested.

      Yours in Christ,
      Elizabeth Riggs, a sinner
      and Perennial Student
      http://www.mindspring.com/~ewriggs/church.htm
      Our Lady, the Joy of All Who Sorrow Church (ROCOR)
      Cumming, GA USA (Atlanta, GA area)
      http://www.churchabroad.org/
      (under construction - not there yet, but SOON!)
      Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory Forever!

      Thought you might enjoy this interesting prayer given in Kansas at
      the opening session of their Senate. It seems prayer still upsets
      some people. If you think it appropriate, please forward this to
      your friends.
      When Minister Joe Wright was asked to open the new session of the
      Kansas Senate, everyone was expecting the usual generalities, but
      this is what they heard:

      "Heavenly Father, we come before you today to ask Your forgiveness
      and to seek Your direction and guidance. We know Your Word says, "Woe
      to those who call evil good" but that is exactly what we have done.
      We have lost our spiritual equilibrium and reversed our values. We
      confess that.

      We have ridiculed the absolute truth of Your Word and called it
      Pluralism;

      We have worshipped other gods and called it multiculturalism;

      We have endorsed perversion and called it alternative lifestyle;

      We have exploited the poor and called it the lottery;

      We have rewarded laziness and called it welfare;

      We have killed our unborn and called it choice;

      We have shot abortionists and called it justifiable;

      We have neglected to discipline our children and called it building
      self-esteem;

      We have abused power and called it politics;

      We have coveted our neighbor's possessions and called it ambition;

      We have polluted the air with profanity and pornography and called it
      freedom of expression;

      We have ridiculed the time-honored values of our forefathers and
      called it enlightenment.

      Search us, Oh, God, and know our hearts today; cleanse us from every
      sin and set us free. Guide and bless these men and women who have
      been sent to direct us to the center of Your will, we ask this in the
      name of Your Son, the living Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen"

      The response was immediate. A number of legislators walked out during
      the prayer in protest. In 6 short weeks, Central Christian Church,
      where Rev.Wright is pastor, logged more than 5,000 phone calls with
      only 47 of those calls responding negatively. The church is now
      receiving international requests for copies of this prayer from
      India, Africa, and Korea. Commentator Paul Harvey aired this prayer
      on "The Rest of the Story" on the radio and received a larger
      response to this program than any other he has ever aired. With the
      Lord's help, may this prayer sweep over our nation and whole-
      heartedly become our desire so that we again can be called one nation
      under God.

      If possible, please pass this prayer on to your friends.

      "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for everything."