[orthodox-synod] DECANI MONASTERY ATTACKED AGAIN BY NATO SUPPORTED MUSLEM TERRORISTS

  • Nikolaj
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 29, 2000
      > > PRESS RELEASE
      > >
      > > Attacks on  Serb
      civilians and their Churches in Kosovo Continued

      Gracanica Monastery, March 1, 2000

      > > In the last several
      days the anti-Serb ethnic violence in Kosovo has
      > > dramatically
      increased. We are constantly receiving reports from the
      > > ground on
      various acts of violence, harassments, threats and murders.

      > > On Sunday, Feb 27, at 20.30 six mortars were fired on the Visoki
      Decani
      > > Monastery. They fell and exploded in the monastery garden,
      thirty meters
      > > south from the Monastery church built in 1327. The
      mortars exploded in
      > > the very vicinity of the Italian KFOR
      checkpoint. This heinous attack on
      > > the only remaining Serb
      community in the area has greatly disturbed the
      > > brotherhood and the
      Italian soldiers. The monastery was threatened many
      > > times so far by
      the local Albanian extremists who want to destroy this
      > > Medieval
      Christian shrine as well as more than 80 other Orthodox
      > > churches
      destroyed after the end of the war. The attack occurred on the
      > > eve
      of the Albanian celebration of the founding of KLA.

      > > On
      Friday, Feb 25, the Serbian Orthodox priests from Gnjilane confirmed
      > > that exactly at 20.00 unknown assailants threw a grenade on the
      Western
      > > portal of the Serb Orthodox cathedral of St. Nicholas. The
      explosion
      > > damaged the improvised tent under which Serb elementary
      school children
      > > attend lessons because they are not allowed by
      local Albanians to go to
      > > a regular school. The entrance of the
      church and the tent were damaged
      > > in this attack.
      > >
      > > On Saturday, Feb 26, around at 8.00 in the morning a respected
      Serb
      > > doctor gynecologist JOSIF VASIC (38) was shot in Gnjilane.
      Unknown
      > > assailants shot four hits on Vasic who died soon after. At
      the end of
      > > January 2000 a Serb woman MITRA VASIC from the Klobukar
      village near
      > > Gnjilane was killed by Albanian extremists. She was
      slaughtered and
      > > stabbed by a sharp pole while her house with her
      body were set on fire.

      > > The Serbian Orthodox Diocese of
      Raska and Prizren is outraged by such an
      > > escalation of ethnic
      violence against the remaining Kosovo Serbs in the
      > > Province. These
      attacks unfortunately prove that Kosovo is still a
      > > lawless place
      and that the goal of the ethnic Albanian extremists
      > > remains to
      ethnically cleanse the southern Serbia's province and drive
      > > all
      remaining Serbs and non-Albanians out of Kosovo.

      > > It is
      more than 8 months that such crimes are being carried by ethnic

      Albanians with impunity in the presence of the international

      peacekeepers and the UN mission.

      > > In the same time
      Albanian extremist press published in Pristina is
      > > strongly
      attacking Bishop Artemije. In his editorial, Skender Buçpapaj,

      editor-in-chief of Bota Sot newspaper openly violated Dr. Kouchner's
      > > regulation on hate speech and spilled out all kinds of lies and
      insults
      > > on the Serb Orthodox hierarch. On the other hand extremist
      Serb media
      > > from Belgrade continue with their accusations that the
      Serbian Orthodox
      > > Church with Bishop Artemije has betrayed the
      Serbian people. Such
      > > attacks in extremist media clearly demonstrate
      that the moderate
      > > position of Bishop Artemije and the Serb National
      Council to which late
      > > Dr. Vasic belonged too is branded as the most
      serious enemy of
      > > extremists on both sides.
      > >
      > > INFORMATION SERVICE OF THE DIOCESE OF RASKA AND PRIZREN

      > > Serbian
      Orthodox Diocese of Kosovo and Metohija
      > > Gracanica Monastery,
      Pristina,