Re: [orthodox-synod] This document should be sent back to committee (the problem goes much deeper)

  • George
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2006
      On Friday, November 03, 2006, at 02:20PM, "gene703" <gene703@...> wrote:
      >This has been said many times but I would like to repeat it one more time and get a responce from clergy familiar with canon law who post on this list
      >
      > According to orthodox cannons a bishop that gains his appointement from civil authorities is not really a bishop, right ?
      >
      > Alexey Ridiger was appointed an MP Bishop of Tallinn in 1961 when communists were fully in charge on MP personell, right ?
      >
      > Is therefore current MP Patrairch Alexey II (Ridiger) a real orthodox clergyman or an impostor according to orthodox cannon law ?
      >
      > thank you

      There are certainly many times in the history of the Orthodox church where bishops were aledged to be imposters and aledged to have been installed by civil authorities. I don't know that there is a uniform yes or no as to whether they are now regarded as imposters.

      I don't know that I would neccessarily compare the situation with Patriarch Alexy II to the situation with of St Photius the Great, but I would note that to this day that many (most?) Roman Catholics, consider St Photius the Great to be an ilegitimate Bishop who was appointed by a civil authority.

      George