Re: Old Calendar vs New Calendar

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2006
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, morechoff@... wrote:

      > So if ROCOR was able to concellabrate with OCA (or any other jurisdiction on the
      >Gregorian calendar), it would be on feast days that are the same in both calendars? Can a
      >priest serve at other times? Is Archbishops Anthony's Ukase still in effect?

      JRS: Of course, ROCOR no longer has its former new calendar dioceses (there once were 4
      such) or parishes, so that is all history now.

      However, there are "divergent menologia" even on the Julian reckoning. For example, the
      Greeks keep St. Catherine's day on Nov. 25, St. Clement on Nov. 24; the Russians have it
      the other way around.

      If one were to celebrate in a Russian parish on Nov. 24 OS, and then in a Greek parish that
      followed the Old Calendar on Nov. 25 OS (as for example in Jerusalem), or vice-versa, then
      one would have the same day's observances twice.

      And then, a number of Saints have multiple feast days: e.g. St. John the Baptist, certain
      Apostles, St. Nicholas of Myra, St. Alexander Nevsky, and many others.

      In the end, I do not think these differences ought to be an insuperable obstacle.