Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Old Calendar vs New Calendar

  • michael nikitin
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
      So they'll lift all the Ukaz's , Declarations, proclamations,
      etc... and say it's O.K. They did it with the MP.

      They'll unite and the people will either leave or stay, but where
      will they go?...the bishops don't appear to care.

      Michael N

      (http://www.yahoo.com/preview)
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2006
        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, morechoff@... wrote:

        > So if ROCOR was able to concellabrate with OCA (or any other jurisdiction on the
        >Gregorian calendar), it would be on feast days that are the same in both calendars? Can a
        >priest serve at other times? Is Archbishops Anthony's Ukase still in effect?

        JRS: Of course, ROCOR no longer has its former new calendar dioceses (there once were 4
        such) or parishes, so that is all history now.

        However, there are "divergent menologia" even on the Julian reckoning. For example, the
        Greeks keep St. Catherine's day on Nov. 25, St. Clement on Nov. 24; the Russians have it
        the other way around.

        If one were to celebrate in a Russian parish on Nov. 24 OS, and then in a Greek parish that
        followed the Old Calendar on Nov. 25 OS (as for example in Jerusalem), or vice-versa, then
        one would have the same day's observances twice.

        And then, a number of Saints have multiple feast days: e.g. St. John the Baptist, certain
        Apostles, St. Nicholas of Myra, St. Alexander Nevsky, and many others.

        In the end, I do not think these differences ought to be an insuperable obstacle.