Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Old Calendar vs New Calendar

  • morechoff@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
      Thanks Father John! Appreciate the feedback. Good to learn these things.

      So if ROCOR was able to concellabrate with OCA (or any other jurisdiction on the Gregorian calendar), it would be on feast days that are the same in both calendars? Can a priest serve at other times? Is Archbishops Anthony's Ukase still in effect?

      I just wonder how the OCA does it today. It would seem that Metropolitan Herman and others (e.g. Bishop Nikolai) would be serving in parishes that follow either the Julian or Gregorian calendar.

      The Paris Exarchate at the has the same issue. Saint Alexander Nevsky on rue Daru uses Julian calendar in the main church and Gregorian in the crypt (lower church). I would imagine Archbishop Gabriel serves upstairs and downstairs.

      Mike

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
        So they'll lift all the Ukaz's , Declarations, proclamations,
        etc... and say it's O.K. They did it with the MP.

        They'll unite and the people will either leave or stay, but where
        will they go?...the bishops don't appear to care.

        Michael N

        (http://www.yahoo.com/preview)
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2006
          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, morechoff@... wrote:

          > So if ROCOR was able to concellabrate with OCA (or any other jurisdiction on the
          >Gregorian calendar), it would be on feast days that are the same in both calendars? Can a
          >priest serve at other times? Is Archbishops Anthony's Ukase still in effect?

          JRS: Of course, ROCOR no longer has its former new calendar dioceses (there once were 4
          such) or parishes, so that is all history now.

          However, there are "divergent menologia" even on the Julian reckoning. For example, the
          Greeks keep St. Catherine's day on Nov. 25, St. Clement on Nov. 24; the Russians have it
          the other way around.

          If one were to celebrate in a Russian parish on Nov. 24 OS, and then in a Greek parish that
          followed the Old Calendar on Nov. 25 OS (as for example in Jerusalem), or vice-versa, then
          one would have the same day's observances twice.

          And then, a number of Saints have multiple feast days: e.g. St. John the Baptist, certain
          Apostles, St. Nicholas of Myra, St. Alexander Nevsky, and many others.

          In the end, I do not think these differences ought to be an insuperable obstacle.