Re: Old Calendar vs New Calendar

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "James Baglien" <jbgln@...> wrote:

      > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, morechoff@ wrote:
      > >
      > > I dont think there is anything today that prevents a ROCOR priest
      > from concelebrating in an OCA parish, but I don't think it happens.
      >
      > A ROCOR Conciliar Ukase of 1971 forbids any communion in prayer with
      > the American Metropolia (a.k.a. the OCA). This ukase has not been
      > rescinded by our bishops.

      JRS: I don't think that was the original question.

      As for jurisdictions that include both old- and new-calendar parishes, remember that
      ROCOR was such a jurisdiction for almost half a century.

      Archbishop Anthony of Geneva issued a Ukase to his clergy, about concelebration with the
      new calendar ROCOR Romanian parishes in Western Europe.

      They were allowed to concelebrate on a Sunday or a feast that was the same in both
      calendars (e.g. Ascension Day), but not on any feast day that would be repeated 13 days
      later in the Julian computation.

    • morechoff@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
        Thanks Father John! Appreciate the feedback. Good to learn these things.

        So if ROCOR was able to concellabrate with OCA (or any other jurisdiction on the Gregorian calendar), it would be on feast days that are the same in both calendars? Can a priest serve at other times? Is Archbishops Anthony's Ukase still in effect?

        I just wonder how the OCA does it today. It would seem that Metropolitan Herman and others (e.g. Bishop Nikolai) would be serving in parishes that follow either the Julian or Gregorian calendar.

        The Paris Exarchate at the has the same issue. Saint Alexander Nevsky on rue Daru uses Julian calendar in the main church and Gregorian in the crypt (lower church). I would imagine Archbishop Gabriel serves upstairs and downstairs.

        Mike

        > > I dont think there is anything today that prevents a ROCOR priest
        > from concelebrating in an OCA parish, but I don't think it happens.
        >
        > A ROCOR Conciliar Ukase of 1971 forbids any communion in prayer with
        > the American Metropolia (a.k.a. the OCA). This ukase has not been
        > rescinded by our bishops.

        JRS: I don't think that was the original question.

        As for jurisdictions that include both old- and new-calendar parishes, remember that
        ROCOR was such a jurisdiction for almost half a century.

        Archbishop Anthony of Geneva issued a Ukase to his clergy, about concelebration with the
        new calendar ROCOR Romanian parishes in Western Europe.

        They were allowed to concelebrate on a Sunday or a feast that was the same in both
        calendars (e.g. Ascension Day), but not on any feast day that would be repeated 13 days
        later in the Julian computation.

      • michael nikitin
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
          So they'll lift all the Ukaz's , Declarations, proclamations,
          etc... and say it's O.K. They did it with the MP.

          They'll unite and the people will either leave or stay, but where
          will they go?...the bishops don't appear to care.

          Michael N

          (http://www.yahoo.com/preview)
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2006
            --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, morechoff@... wrote:

            > So if ROCOR was able to concellabrate with OCA (or any other jurisdiction on the
            >Gregorian calendar), it would be on feast days that are the same in both calendars? Can a
            >priest serve at other times? Is Archbishops Anthony's Ukase still in effect?

            JRS: Of course, ROCOR no longer has its former new calendar dioceses (there once were 4
            such) or parishes, so that is all history now.

            However, there are "divergent menologia" even on the Julian reckoning. For example, the
            Greeks keep St. Catherine's day on Nov. 25, St. Clement on Nov. 24; the Russians have it
            the other way around.

            If one were to celebrate in a Russian parish on Nov. 24 OS, and then in a Greek parish that
            followed the Old Calendar on Nov. 25 OS (as for example in Jerusalem), or vice-versa, then
            one would have the same day's observances twice.

            And then, a number of Saints have multiple feast days: e.g. St. John the Baptist, certain
            Apostles, St. Nicholas of Myra, St. Alexander Nevsky, and many others.

            In the end, I do not think these differences ought to be an insuperable obstacle.