Moscow Patriarchate urges to be guided by genuine Russian traditions while building up an ideal society

  • George Edward Green III
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2006
      26 October 2006, 14:05
      Russian Orthodox Church urges to be guided by genuine Russian traditions while building up an ideal society in the country

      Moscow, October 26, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate thinks it necessary to develop a national model of an ideal society based on Russian religious culture.

      ?Culture, faith and ideas today rather than economics determine our vision of our ?city set on a hill,? an ideal model of our life,? said deputy head of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations Rev. Vsevolod Chaplin at the 6th Pokrov Public Readings in Moscow on Thursday.

      He noted that the Americans were building their ?city? in the global world, while the adherents of radical Islam were building their own global Khaliphate. ?We have our own model of society which we wish to build and may probably offer to the world.?

      According to him, Russian culture shaped by Orthodoxy is ?an axiom for the majority of people living in our country and beyond its frontiers. It is amazing that the Orthodox influence on Russian culture is more evident to people in the West than to our politicians and publicists,? Rev. Vsevolod complained.

      He added that the presence of other faiths and philosophies of life in Russia does not mean that we should renounce our culture, our social ideals and ourselves.

      While taking about specific features of the Russian religious culture, the archpriest noted that it determined our vision of economics, politics, and statehood and affirmed the priority of the spiritual over the material things and community over egoism that ?is corroding Western world and could have corroded Russia.?

      He believes that culture has made its way in Russian history through all ideological and political schemes, including the pro-Western ideology of the early 1990s.

      He urged to do anything possible for people to realize themselves and become masters of their destiny despite all experiments and attempts to change them. These attempts have been made in Russia for many centuries and would be made many times in future.?

      Print this page