interfax: A documentary about relationships between Stalin and Church

  • G3
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 18, 2006
      (Frankly I don't know what kind of person could suggest this with a strait face. Utter
      revisionalism if you ask me. And a sick joke at that.)

      A documentary about relationships between Stalin and Church

      Moscow, October 18, Interfax - A documentary on Stalin and the Third Rome in the
      Orthodox Encyclopedia series is to be soon released.

      Collected in it are unique shots and facts about how Stalin initiated a revival of the Russian
      Church and attempted to do what no Russian emperor failed to achieve. It was an attempt
      to realize the idea of Moscow as the Third Rome, which had been once voiced by Monk
      Philopheus. This theory asserted the historic importance of the Russian capital city as a
      global political and ecclesiastical center.

      The documentary relates how Stalin ordered that film-maker Sergey Eisenstein produce an
      epic about Ivan the Terrible at the height of the war. The filmmaker put in the autocrat's
      mouth the 500-year-old idea of the Third Rome, which began at that time to overcome
      the former Georgian seminarian, the Vesti news (Rossiya TV channel) has reported.

      The authors of the documentary have revealed sensational details and used rare news
      briefs. Viewers can see in particular how Georgiy Karpov, the state's overseer of the
      Church, kisses a new patriarch in the presence of amazed guests. That kiss was a result of
      long negotiations at the very top, a symbol of the state's new attitude to the Church.

      The enthronement in the Soviet capital is attended for the first time by heads of Orthodox
      Churches in Europe and the Middle East. Stalin demands that a World Orthodox Religious
      Center be set up in Moscow as soon as possible.

      `Stalin keeps saying that it takes probe and pressure. Molotov says nothing will come out
      from it. Stalin pushes: you just try, try it', relates State Duma deputy Natalia
      Narochnitskaya, Doctor of History.

      The documentary structured as an exciting detective story, tells about the failure of
      Stalin's design. But it was thank to it that Patriarch Alexis I managed to initiate a revival of
      Orthodoxy in Russia by opening 500 new parishes and St. Sergius Laura of the Trinity.