SCOBA

  • Alexii Leder
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2006
      How will this move toward re-union with Moscow affect if anything ROCOR's
      standing with SCOBA?

      I have never quite understood why ROCOR was not a member to begin with but I
      am not in your jurisdiction.

      Alexii
      Greek Orthodox
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2006
        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Alexii Leder" <alexiius@...> wrote:

        > How will this move toward re-union with Moscow affect if anything ROCOR's
        > standing with SCOBA?
        > I have never quite understood why ROCOR was not a member to begin with but I
        > am not in your jurisdiction.
        >
        > Alexii
        > Greek Orthodox

        JRS: ROCOR was, in fact, invited to join along with the other canonical jurisdictions, when
        SCOBA was formed, I believe in 1960.

        And ROCOR was represented at the first meeting (by Fr. George Grabbe).

        After that, ROCOR did not continue its membership, because the Moscow Patriarchate was
        (then) also represented there.

        Subsequently, the Moscow Patriarchate also withdrew from SCOBA.

        However, since his arrival in America, the Moscow Patriarchate's representative in New
        York, Bishop Merkury, has been attending SCOBA meetings, even without being an official
        member.

        But as so often happens, after 46 years, people have forgotten the rationale of ROCOR's
        isolation.

        Today, there is no reason we could not be represented at SCOBA.