Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: How many have been to Russia?

  • larry most
    Message 1 of 52 , Sep 30, 2006
      GLORY TO JESUS CHRIST GLORY TO HIM FOREVER
      Dear Elizabeth,
      Thanks for an excellent post. Some of the Orthodox
      don't want the Church, they want an ethnic club,
      especially in Greek, Serbian, and Russian parishes.
      Which is probably why I will soon be on my way to an
      Antiochian parish, which is more Christ, than ethnic
      stuff. I like all of ethnic things, but that is not
      why I go to Church.
      Love in Christ,
      Sub-deacon Lawrence Most

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • larry most
      Message 52 of 52 , Oct 6, 2006
        GLORY TO JESUS CHRIST GLORY TO HIM FOREVER
        Dear George,
        Thank you for the very thoughtful and carefully
        thought out reply. My wife and I were talking about
        this same subject today, and we remembered that the
        priest at the Church that we attended for over 20 year
        was a wonderful holy man (he is the priest that
        Chrismated our family into the Orthodox Church from
        the Byzantine Rite Catholic Church. He passed away
        last month and we went to his funeral. We remembered
        today in talking, that his Matushka (Kathleen) never
        wore a scarf or hat and quite often wore slacks to
        Church, yet she was probably one of the best priests
        wives ever. I never encountered this clothing
        "problem" until we began attending the local ROCOR
        parish in Atlantic Mine. Then on this and other
        groupes it was heavily debated. To me it is spending
        energy on something that could be spent on something
        else. I guess,if you want to enforce a dress code,
        that is your choice, but don't be surprised if you
        have nearly empty churches.
        I wish all of the Churches that fret about what to
        wear, all the best. I have other things to worry
        about.
        The same for all of the old calendar churches in the
        US. If you can get the other jurisdictions to go back,
        great. I'll be a happy man. If not, good luck in
        spreading the good news of Orthodoxy.
        Love in Christ,
        Sub-deacon Lawrence Most

        http://mail.yahoo.com