Holy Cross Orthodox Mission in Melbourne Victoria....

  • Basil Yakimov
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2006
      Holy Cross Orthodox Mission http://www.australianorthodox.org/
      By now everyone would have heard about the most significant event which has taken place in the life of the Mission so far.
      On Saturday July 29 and Sunday July 30, Archbishop Hilarion visited the Mission once again and conducted several ordinations.
      On the Saturday Father Kyril was made Deacon, then on Sunday ordained to the Priesthood. With great pleasure we all proclaimed Axios (meaning he is worthy) to Fr Kyril during the Ordination as he was invested with priestly insignia. At the same time, the faithful missioner Allan was made a Reader. Raphael and Barnabus from the Monastery of the Prophet Elias, were tonsured Sub-deacons.
      We are especially grateful for the participation of the Dean, Father Michael Protopopov, who served on Sunday with us. Fr Michael continues to be a wonderful supporter of the Mission. We also extend our thanks to Fr Nikolas D, Fr Daniel of India, and Deacon, Father Christopher Henderson from New South Wales who assisted at all the services of the weekend. The two ordination liturgies were enhanced by the presence of singers from the Monastery of the Prophet Elias, and by the presence of Readers and Sub-deacons from various metropolitan parishes, thus enabling the full Episcopal ceremonies to be conducted with splendour.
      Fr Kyril is the Mission’s first priest monk. It is our prayer to the Holy Spirit that there will many more priests and monastics for the Mission.
      Now we have our own full-time priest monk, and the complete liturgical life of the Mission can be held. Fr Kyril brings his youthful enthusiasm for mission work, and deserves our full support. Father is present at the Mission every day during its opening hours: he is conducting the services (Divine Liturgy in the morning and Vespers at evening) every day for 40 days, which will end on September the 10th. Fr Kyril is also operating the bookroom, dealing with those who drop in during the day, and is readily available for advice and discussion.
      Our Mission now begins a new era, one of consolidation. We have been engaged and will continue to be engaged in the passive mission that our open doors and regular services provide; our printed materials are being used; our bookroom is a runaway success, and the thousands of people passing by the Mission every day are seeing that Orthodoxy is present and open to those who ask. All of this is to continue, becoming stronger and more secure.
      One of our aims is to reach out and to bring the Faith to people, for we are not ashamed to desire the conversion of our fellow-citizens from the apathy, heresy and perdition so prevalent in the various religious denominations. We have already taken steps and implemented preparations to go out to all peoples.
      With the blessing of Archbishop Hilarion, with the support of people of goodwill and with the ministry of our new Mission-priest Fr Kyril, we shall do this work for the Kingdom.
      Fr Benjamin, Superior Holy Cross Orthodox Mission

    • Gerald Herrin
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9, 2006
        Has Yevgeny Rodionov been glorified by any local church? I was
        reading about his martyrdom and the secular accounts are not clear.
        Any assistance would be appreciated.

        Isaac (Gerald) Herrin