Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Interview with the Secretary of the ROCA SYNOD in Russian ..

  • DDD
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 1, 2006
      On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 17:11:54 +0000, frvictor@... wrote:
      That is sick. It reminds me of the anti-religious Soviet art. Disgraceful. No wonder the process of the reconciliation of the Russian Church is going forward.

      Priest Victor Boldewskul

      From: "Fr. Alexander Lebedeff" <lebedeff@...>

      > Dear kotlyaroff@..., (the post was not signed).
      >
      > Thank you for publicizing E.L. Magerovsky's wonderful Live Journal,
      > which contains truly Christian and Orthodox views, such as the
      > illustration on this page:
      >
      > http://elmager.livejournal.com/79943.html
      >
      > Lovely.

      DD: How will E. L Magerovsky answer at the Dread Judgment for maligning these clergy, not to mention leading people out of the Church?
      When I look at Vladyka Mark, for example, I see -- an ascetic! Look at him.... he is so thin you can hardly see him sideways. Did it ever occur to anyone that this might be someone who prays and fasts? I would be frightened to mock God's clergy!

      --Dimitra Dwelley
      _______________________--
    • gene703
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 4, 2006
        FYI
        from E.L. Magerovsky's wonderful Live Journal :-) (in russian)
        http://elmager.livejournal.com/81981.html

        "Fr. Alexander Lebedeff" <lebedeff@...> wrote:
        Dear kotlyaroff@..., (the post was not signed).

        Thank you for publicizing E.L. Magerovsky's wonderful Live Journal,
        which contains truly Christian and Orthodox views, such as the
        illustration on this page:

        http://elmager.livejournal.com/79943.html

        Lovely.

        Accompanied by the image of the Kursk-Root Icon, no less.

        Can any serious Orthodox Christian associate himself with such?

        With love in Christ,

        Prot. Alexander Lebedeff

        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 5, 2006
          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, gene703 <gene703@...> wrote:

          > FYI
          > from E.L. Magerovsky's wonderful Live Journal :-) (in russian)
          > http://elmager.livejournal.com/81981.html

          JRS: One does not have to read very far to see where E.L.M. gets his "facts".

          The apocryphal "Council of Ust-Kut" is one of Vladimir Moss's stories.

          Supposedly, all of the arrested bishops of the Russian Church happened to be in Ust-Kut
          at the same time, and were able to hold a "Sobor" there, at which they "anathematized"
          everyone else.

          Aside from the fact that such an action does not sound like the hierarchs of the Russian
          Church; that there is no evidence they were in Ust-Kut; or that such an unscheduled
          "Sobor" would have to be approved subsequently by a normal Sobor to have any weight:
          there is also the problem of no records and no evidence that this "Sobor" ever took place.

          Mr. Moss, however, claimed that it was all fact: because a long-deceased man had told
          someone else that he had heard about it, from someone who "knew"...

          And now, E. L. Magerovsky believes it.

        • michael nikitin
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 6, 2006
            Fr. John is to quick to judge Prof. Magerovsky and Prof. Moss.
            In a book "Kratky Obzor Istorii Ruskoi Tserkvi ot Revolutsii do Nashih Dnei" by Ivan Michailovich Andreev, published in Holy Trinity Monastery in 1952, these facts are stated. Fr. John should read the book. Ivan M. Andreev himself was in this prison working as a doctor and knew many details of what has transpired and wrote exactly what Prof. Magerovsky states.
            .
            St Nektary of Optina said about Metr. Sergiy who was in Obnovlenchensky heresy and repented before people and Holy Patr. Tikhon, "Yes, he repented, but the poison is still in him."

            Declaration of 1927 was signed by Metr. Sergiy and 25 bishops refused to sign it. Only 7 bishops signed it. Poor Russian people, they don't know the facts. They only know MP's distortion of history.

            Fr.John is wrong to write: "Mr. Moss, however, claimed that it was all fact: because a long-deceased man had told someone else that he had heard about it, from someone who "knew"...And now, E. L. Magerovsky believes it." He should find this book and read it.

            Michael N

            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 6, 2006
              --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, michael nikitin <nikitinmike@...> wrote:

              > Fr. John is to quick to judge Prof. Magerovsky and Prof. Moss.

              JRS: Actually, it's the other way around: they are the ones who have been "quick to judge"
              ROCOR.

              > In a book "Kratky Obzor Istorii Ruskoi Tserkvi ot Revolutsii do Nashih Dnei" by Ivan
              >Michailovich Andreev, published in Holy Trinity Monastery in 1952, these facts are
              >stated.

              JRS: 1) This is 2006, not 1952. The changes that have come about in the intervening 54
              years have been enormous.

              2) Not everything that appears in print is therefore correct.

              When I was a seminarian at Jordanville, it came out that one of the people listed as having
              died a martyr's death in the book "Novyje mucheniki rossijskije", had in fact survived, after
              all, and lived on for years after the book was published and after copies of it were
              smuggled into the Soviet Union.

            • michael nikitin
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 6, 2006
                I wrote from Prof. Ivan M. Andreev's historical book. He wrote what he had seen and relived himself. Holy Trinity Monastery published it in 1952 when all of our hierarchs were alive and they did not protest against anything in the book.

                The book Fr.John is referring to was written by Fr.Michael Polsky. A
                different person and a different book. Prof. Ivan M. Andreev's book is
                historical...he was there.

                Fr. John received his information from the MP?
                You feel that everyone should believe what priests write, but since you, Fr. Alexander and Fr.Stefan have nothing against deceit in the church, I find it difficult to believe anything that you just write without backing it up.

                Michael N

                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 6, 2006
                  --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, michael nikitin <nikitinmike@...> wrote:

                  > I wrote from Prof. Ivan M. Andreev's historical book.

                  JRS: But I knew Prof. Andreev personally.

                  > You feel that everyone should believe what priests write, but since you, Fr. Alexander
                  >and Fr.Stefan have nothing against deceit in the church, I find it difficult to believe
                  >anything that you just write without backing it up.

                  JRS: Fr. Alexander has usually backed up his comments with official texts.

                  I myself don't usually bother to do that, because the research takes too much time.

                  And those (usually HOCNA members) who attack ROCOR, only ignore or reject the
                  evidence, no matter how convincing it is.

                  BTW your style and comments are practically identical with those of one "Peter Andreev".

                  I also notice little peculiarities you both share, such as not spacing after "Fr.", if the priest
                  referred to is a ROCOR apologist.

                • Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 6, 2006
                    Father Michael Polsky was one of the most honored clerics of the
                    Russian Orthodox Church Abroad and the Author of the famous two tomb
                    Book "New Martyrs of Russia" (Protopresbyter Michael Polsky, Noviye
                    Mucheniki Rossijskiye, Jordanville, 1957), the most definitive book
                    at that time, on the subject of Soviet persecution of the faithful,
                    clergy laity and of the destruction and desecration of Church
                    property. He came from the Soviet Union and he died in San
                    Francisco. Except for a few minor discrepancies his accounts are
                    absolutely unquestioned and the research in Russia now on the fate
                    of the New Martyrs has Father Michael to thank for being one of the
                    trail blazers. Platina printed a book in English which was
                    essentially a translation of Father Michael's work.
                    In Russia one of the criteria for supporting the canonization
                    (including in the official lists) of a particular Martyr is to
                    verify that during the interrogation and any attempt at "saving
                    oneself" the tortured and murdered person did not BETRAY others!

                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 6, 2006
                      Dr. Eugene L. Magerovsky, Ph.D. (US Military), Mr. Konstantin
                      Preobrazhensky, retired KGB lieutenant colonel ("KGB always KGB" or so
                      he himself has said! /debrief CIA) and Ambassador John Herbst (State
                      Department) are three government agents who have attempted to
                      influence the Church Abroad to interests other than purely Church
                      related and Spiritually founded, how sad this is ...after decades of
                      State intrusion into Church Affairs in Soviet Russia, here in the free
                      Western World the State encroaches on the CHURCH. The Bishops of our
                      Church have the DUTY and the MORAL OBLIGATION to guide the faithful as
                      they, as CONCECRATED ORTHODOX BISHOPS, see fit and correct, these
                      laymen certainly have their right to express their personal opinions
                      but they have no Ecclesiastical Authority to intimidate or RULE OVER
                      THE CHURCH.
                      Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                    • Michael Coleman
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 6, 2006
                        Father bless!

                        Forgive me, as I am entering this discussion
                        midstream: Are you writing seriously, Father, about
                        these gentlemen? Or are you being sarcastic?

                        Forgive my ignorance, as I cannot tell.

                        Bless!

                        Michael Coleman
                        Knoxville, TN

                        <StefanVPavlenko@...> wrote:

                        > Dr. Eugene L. Magerovsky, Ph.D. (US Military), Mr.
                        > Konstantin
                        > Preobrazhensky, retired KGB lieutenant colonel ("KGB
                        > always KGB" or so
                        > he himself has said! /debrief CIA) and Ambassador
                        > John Herbst (State
                        > Department) are three government agents who have
                        > attempted to
                        > influence the Church Abroad to interests other than
                        > purely Church
                        > related and Spiritually founded, how sad this is
                        > ...after decades of
                        > State intrusion into Church Affairs in Soviet
                        > Russia, here in the free
                        > Western World the State encroaches on the CHURCH.
                        > The Bishops of our
                        > Church have the DUTY and the MORAL OBLIGATION to
                        > guide the faithful as
                        > they, as CONCECRATED ORTHODOX BISHOPS, see fit and
                        > correct, these
                        > laymen certainly have their right to express their
                        > personal opinions
                        > but they have no Ecclesiastical Authority to
                        > intimidate or RULE OVER
                        > THE CHURCH.
                        > Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 7, 2006
                          No I was not.
                          Rev. S. Pavlenko

                          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Michael Coleman
                          <usmichaelnew@...> wrote:

                          > Father bless!
                          >
                          > Forgive me, as I am entering this discussion
                          > midstream: Are you writing seriously, Father, about
                          > these gentlemen? Or are you being sarcastic?
                          >
                          > Forgive my ignorance, as I cannot tell.
                          >
                          > Bless!
                          >
                          > Michael Coleman
                          > Knoxville, TN
                        • Anna Voellmecke
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 7, 2006
                            At 02:07 PM 9/7/2006, you wrote:
                            >No I was not.

                            Which? You were asked an "or" question, so "yes" and "no" are not
                            possible. answers.

                            Anna V.
                          • Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 7, 2006
                              Yes, I was indeed very serious, and no, I was not at all being
                              sarcastic.

                              Mr. Preobrazhensky has claimed that his father was a KGB agent who
                              raised him an Orthodox Christian and that he a KGB agent worked
                              inside the KGB to help the church, or what ever he claims he did to
                              remain an Orthodox Christian during the Soviet era. Yet he adamantly
                              proclaims "KGB always KGB" and does not allow for Orthodox Clergy of
                              the Moscow Patriarchate to have done what he claims for his father
                              and himself. All Moscow Patriarch Clergy are KGB to this day by his
                              reasoning and witness. Yet in today's Russia Monastic communities
                              grow, Churches are built, the New Martyrs and the ROYAL FAMILY
                              glorified, religion and religious publications available to all and
                              on and on....

                              Dr. Magerovsky is very tightly affiliated with Government think
                              tanks forming the opinions of Government agencies that make State
                              Department policy based on his and like minded individuals promoting
                              the Russo phobic continued policy of the United States against the
                              Russian Federation struggling to get a foot hold after the down fall
                              of the militantly atheistic Communist Soviet Regime. Most others
                              Poland, Latvia, Lithuanian, Estonia, Czech Republic and others are
                              supported and buttressed promoting anti-Russian agendas, while
                              Russia is conspicuously not supported.

                              Ukraine and the millions pumped into it during the Orange
                              Revolution, which was done to insure that those who understand
                              Russia, Ukraine and Belarus to be the manifest destiny of an
                              Orthodox Slavic Nation (as Imperial Russia was) would have no chance
                              in their country's policies; reveals quite clearly the interests of
                              the US State Department, and its willingness to support Moslem
                              Albanian terrorists (this is evident in Kosovo to this day!) and
                              Moslem *Chechen terrorists (read "Chechnya Weekly" editor John
                              Dunlop) and Moslem Asetian separatists/terrorists (the whole US-
                              Georgian adventure) in the measures proped up against a strong, free
                              Orthodox Russia or any Orthodox Slavic unity.
                              Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko

                              --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Anna Voellmecke <anna@...>
                              wrote:

                              > At 02:07 PM 9/7/2006, you wrote:
                              > >No I was not.
                              >
                              > Which? You were asked an "or" question, so "yes" and "no" are not
                              > possible. answers.
                              >
                              > Anna V.

                            • Mike Woodson
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 8, 2006
                                Dear Rev. Fr. Stefan,

                                Clearly you are upset based on what you believe, but we differ on many
                                perceptions.

                                We read Preobrazhensky differently. In the early 1990s before glasnost
                                froze to death, Preobrazhensky wrote about how the FSB, having just
                                changed its letters from KGB, was ill-adapted to defending Russia
                                against Chechen guerillas and terrorists. His point was that the FSB
                                was configured to keep the inmates in, so to speak, and not to defend
                                Russia against militants.

                                When the Beslan massacre happened, Preobrazhensky's concerns proved
                                true, being concerns for Russian lives, not his own personal
                                opportunities. On his perceptions of the MP officials, I think that he
                                is right in the main. Bearing in mind the rare exception to the
                                general rule, it is unlikely that "all" MP clergy are dedicated
                                opportunists, however, you don't need "all" of them to be so long as
                                most of them used their cover as a path to new power in Russia rooted
                                in their former KGB status and training. Such training is
                                recognizable in their actions.

                                I see Preobrazhensky opposing those actions and words -- which puts
                                him in the repentant category. "Once KGB, always KGB" I suspect
                                refers to the training and its habits, and also, his ability to
                                recognize former colleagues and their modes of operation ( even in the
                                MP ).

                                As for your assertions about the United States, which has been a safe
                                harbor for a significant Russian diaspora for a long time now, we
                                differ a great deal, and I have to suppress the temptation of anger at
                                your provocation against a country I love and am loyal and dedicated
                                to as much as you are to your own homeland.

                                As you benefit from this country that has had freedom of belief and
                                religious practice during its entire existence, you criticize it with
                                a spirit I can only recognize as irrational anger stoked by
                                propaganda. Who does the propaganda benefit? The RF, not the Church.
                                That's how to judge its source.

                                I'd rather have an Orange Revolution Father, than the toxic, green
                                glowing one dumped on Europe by the politicians to which you and your
                                like-minded have just joined the ROCOR. Manifest destiny is an
                                outdated, obsolete doctrine of the 18th-19th centuries for the US.
                                However, you have identified it as a modern Russian governing right to
                                Ukraine. I disagree that any nation has a right to rule another
                                unless God says it is so in no uncertain terms.

                                respectfully,
                                Michael

                                More specific political responses below:

                                --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko"
                                <StefanVPavlenko@...> wrote:
                                > Yes, I was indeed very serious, and no, I was not at all being
                                > sarcastic.
                                > Mr. Preobrazhensky has claimed that his father was a KGB agent who
                                > raised him an Orthodox Christian and that he a KGB agent worked
                                > inside the KGB to help the church, or what ever he claims he did to
                                > remain an Orthodox Christian during the Soviet era. Yet he adamantly
                                > proclaims "KGB always KGB" and does not allow for Orthodox Clergy of
                                > the Moscow Patriarchate to have done what he claims for his father
                                > and himself. All Moscow Patriarch Clergy are KGB to this day by his
                                > reasoning and witness. Yet in today's Russia Monastic communities
                                > grow, Churches are built, the New Martyrs and the ROYAL FAMILY
                                > glorified, religion and religious publications available to all and
                                > on and on....

                                It's the headwaters of the renewal that determines the purity of the
                                water flowing downstream in an autocracy, Father Stefan. Perhaps God
                                will change out the MP leadership his own Way, and all will be
                                redeemed. I certainly hope so. It's behavior doesn't support this
                                hope so far. A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump -- churches,
                                publications and so on. The current RF pragmatists have learned that
                                they need to use the Church, not persecute it, to stay in power over
                                their fellow Russians. However, using the Church is as bad or worse
                                than overtly attacking it, because it will hurt the faith of many who
                                cease to believe as the MP follows the course of playing Church to
                                attain political goals. May they repent of their course, or may God
                                turn the tables on them to the benefit of the Russian flock (and
                                everyone else related).

                                > Dr. Magerovsky is very tightly affiliated with Government think
                                > tanks forming the opinions of Government agencies that make State
                                > Department policy based on his and like minded individuals promoting
                                > the Russo phobic continued policy of the United States against the
                                > Russian Federation struggling to get a foot hold after the down fall
                                > of the militantly atheistic Communist Soviet Regime. Most others
                                > Poland, Latvia, Lithuanian, Estonia, Czech Republic and others are
                                > supported and buttressed promoting anti-Russian agendas, while
                                > Russia is conspicuously not supported.

                                People in the US don't fear Russians, but many fear the recent
                                historical tendency toward severe abuse of power in Russian governing
                                habits, which have some long and dreary precedents of abuse over the
                                past 200 years. Hundreds of millions dead and imprisoned by their
                                own? Gulags? That is a serious precedent for distrust of Russian use
                                of authority. The USA has some problems and has done some wrongs, but
                                nothing on that magnitude. It's safeguards and culture are optimistic
                                toward good will in the main. I hope that doesn't change as other
                                powers seek to provoke her into wars abroad. May God look out for us
                                again and help us find our service to Him.

                                > Ukraine and the millions pumped into it during the Orange
                                > Revolution, which was done to insure that those who understand
                                > Russia, Ukraine and Belarus to be the manifest destiny of an
                                > Orthodox Slavic Nation (as Imperial Russia was) would have no chance
                                > in their country's policies; reveals quite clearly the interests of
                                > the US State Department, and its willingness to support Moslem
                                > Albanian terrorists (this is evident in Kosovo to this day!) and
                                > Moslem *Chechen terrorists (read "Chechnya Weekly" editor John
                                > Dunlop) and Moslem Asetian separatists/terrorists (the whole US-
                                > Georgian adventure) in the measures proped up against a strong, free
                                > Orthodox Russia or any Orthodox Slavic unity.
                                > Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko

                                Ukraine is not owned by Russia any more than it is owned by anyone else.

                                Georgia invited help with putting down terrorist passage through the
                                Pankisi Gorge at its border, and the US gave it help to dry up
                                supplies to terrorists and militants also fighting US forces in
                                Afghanistan and nearby bases, then retreating into that area. China
                                has also wanted the area cleared, to staunch weapon supply to its
                                Uigher population. That you would turn all of this into an
                                anti-Russian effort is way off. Georgia is Orthodox Christian itself
                                and must deal with Muslim militants. It wasn't getting any help from
                                the Russia of "manifest destiny" either.