mystery icon.........

  • Ekaterina Andreev
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2006
      http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/synod/eng2006/images/jerday7_13.jpg

      Can anyone tell me anything about this icon?

      Katya

    • P.G. Sheldon
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2006
        On 31/08/06, Ekaterina Andreev <ekaterina917@...> wrote:
        > http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/synod/eng2006/images/jerday7_13.jpg
        >
        > Can anyone tell me anything about this icon?
        >
        > Katya

        Luke 1:40.

        PGS
      • Hristofor
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 31, 2006
          http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/synod/eng2006/images/jerday7_13.jpg

          After the Annunciation, the Theotokos went to visit her cousin Elizabeth in the village of Ein-Karem (Well of the Vineyard), just south of Jerusalem, to tell her the news of Archangel Gabriel's visitation. Elizabeth was already with child: the future St John the Baptist. They embraced and St Elizabeth's child leapt in her womb. The icon depicts this meeting. The site of St John's birth is a Catholic monastery. Nearby is the Church of the Visitation and in the courtyard are tile plaques written in over 40 languages with the words "My soul magnifies the Lord..." Nearby is located the Gornenski Russian Convent, which was taken from ROCOR by the Israeli government and given to the Moscow Patriarchate after the War of 1948.

          The icon depicts this meeting.

          It is a beautiful spot.