Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: South American Group + 54 SF sobor members Appeals Again to Synod

  • gene703
    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 8, 2006
      Dear father John,

      You say - "The opposition also ignores the statements of the bishops, and of other spokesmen for our Church such as Fr. Alexander, except to look for "chinks in the armor" and openings for attack"

      Well, 70 members of sobor in SF have handed in another letter to Mp. Laurus the other day. In this letter point # 6 said - verbatim

      #6 Those of us who were in attendance during the IV SF sobor say that wrongfull interpretation of sobor resolution by uniats such as Nikolay Artemoff and Alexander Lebedeff is a REFUSAL TO OBEY ARCHPASTOR-CHRIST AND A SLANDER ON HOLY SPIRIT.

      entire text here in the second comment
      http://elmager.livejournal.com/77638.html

      That's more than 50% of sobor member who feel they are being taken for a ride. I say it is high time to expand this list to include a couple of bishops and start discussing the punishment for their blasphemous unification initiative. Time to clean the house.

      Yours trully
      Gene T

      "Fr. John R. Shaw" <vrevjrs@...> wrote:
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Bushunow, Peter" <peter.bushunow@...>
      wrote:

      > For our sanity's sake, can we all try to discuss the substantive issues raised by the
      >posters and not pick on their phraseology or ethnicity. ... Is our church leadership going
      >to respond to these questions which concern the most important issues facing us, or are
      >you going to keep dismissing them because of misspellings and poor grammar?

      JRS: The issue is no "spelling and grammar": the issue is that someone, or certain circles,
      are hard at work trying to stir up opposition.

      The other main issue is that our hierarchy has never been as efficient in "reaching the
      people" as the various troublemakers have.

      Why?

      First: because for decades, ROCOR was like a family, where we trusted one another and
      where the word of the Metropolitan and the local bishops was enough.

      Partly, that was because life was in many ways rather simple then. Most ROCOR members
      had been refugees at the end of World War II, had been in the same DP camps, and had
      known Metropolitan Anastassy.

      It was also obvious that the USSR was not free, and that the church leaders there could not
      do or say what their conscience told them, but had to keep their mouths shut, or else
      mouthe state propaganda.

      So, at least till 1986, ROCOR church life was simple enough.

      Second: The bishops have always tried to speak in a dignified and becoming manner, with
      an economy of words and a minimum of public statements.

      The various opposition groups, on the other hand, have been working practically round
      the clock, with "Nasha Strana", various websites, and unfortunately also with the help of
      some clergy.

      The opposition often has been willing to "stop at nothing", systematically spreading and
      repeating disinformation aimed at frightening people, or at least at undermining respect
      and trust for the ROCOR hierarchy.

      Message 33 of 33 , Aug 9, 2006
        Dear Mr. N,
        I find you post to be rather amazing for several reasons, and I am not going to waste any time in this public forum explaining why. I will say, though, that how you falsly conclude that I took Holy Communion while in Russia is beyond words.

        If you have any questions about my studies while I was in the Soviet Union in 1989, please write to me privately. You can even make a visit to Boston and I will show you my pictures.

        In Christ,
        Priest Victor Boldewskul

        From: michael nikitin <nikitinmike@...>