ISRAEL, FAITH AND PATRIOTISM

  • Basil Yakimov
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7 10:26 PM
      ISRAEL, FAITH AND PATRIOTISM http://www.orthodoxengland.org.uk/

      Thirty-miles to the north-west of the northern shores of the
      Sea of Galilee and our Lord’s ‘own city’ of Capernaum lies
      Tyre. Like so many other Biblical cities, it is now under
      attack from Israeli forces. The present Israeli war crimes
      against southern Lebanon, with hundreds of thousands of
      innocent civilians who have lost their homes and livelihoods,
      can be likened to those of the Nazi invasion of western Poland
      in 1939. Then too, an innocent and virtually defenceless
      people was bombarded by a sophisticated war-machine, which
      unleashed panzers against cavalry.

      Then, it is true, Great Britain and France at last had the
      courage to declare war against unrepentant Nazi Germany. Today
      Western governments, especially the American, support Israel.
      The American administration had been supplying Israel with the
      latest smart bombs and ‘bunker busters’ for several months
      before its latest war of aggression against the native people
      of the Middle East. As for the British government, at the
      beginning of hostilities in July, it was able very swiftly to
      send six warships to evacuate British citizens. It is
      difficult to believe that this was by chance. It is much more
      likely that the British government, like the US, knew well in
      advance exactly what the Israeli government was planning and
      had its warships in the right place at the right time.

      As regards the rest of Western Europe, it stands by,
      hypocritically spouting empty words, without the slightest
      intention of taking any action whatsoever. And Israel knows
      this. And this is why it continues with impunity to smash the
      infrastructure of a whole country, massacring and maiming
      hundreds, if not thousands of men, women and children,
      destroying bridges, power stations and polluting the
      Mediterranean. Once again, the arrogant obscenities committed
      by the Israeli military in their ethnic cleansing of the
      Lebanon challenge Orthodox born or living in the West. How can
      Orthodox living in the West and citizens of Western countries
      remain silent in the face of the present outrages?

      Orthodox have had to answer such questions in all ages, from
      the Roman Empire to the American Empire. Their answers are
      inevitably shaped by the belief that our Faith is more
      important than loyalty to any earthly State, for eternity is
      more important than time and space. Orthodox will always put
      their Faith above their temporal nationality and natural
      feelings of patriotism. As the West has for nearly a thousand
      years ideologically opposed the Gospel, incorporating
      secularism into its very ideology. Orthodox who are devoted to
      the Truth of Christ are inevitably ambivalent towards the
      West. We can never integrate the worldliness of the West. We
      may, and indeed should, love our countries, the USA, England,
      France or any other, but this is in spite of the actions of
      particular Western governments, let alone minority regimes,
      like that of Mr Blair.

      For conscious Orthodox, Orthodoxy is in itself a nationality,
      the ‘nationality’ of Christ, which is above all nationalities
      and governments. As bombs fall on Orthodox in the Lebanon, we
      Orthodox feel solidarity with all other Orthodox. As bombs
      rain down on Roman Catholics and Muslims and rockets fall on
      Jews, we Orthodox also feel solidarity with all suffering
      mankind, which is abused and deceived by powerbrokers and
      their machines of war. All men are created in the image and
      likeness of God, whatever the religious label, Muslim, Jew,
      Roman Catholic or any other, which manmade misinterpretation
      of revelation, conditioned by race, history and politics, have
      attached to them.

      Israel should be warned about its latest outburst of
      anti-Semitism (yes, the Arabs too are Semites). In the words
      of the proverb: ‘Those who sow the wind shall reap the
      whirlwind’. The brothers and sisters of infants murdered and
      maimed today will not forget tomorrow. Every child that Israel
      murders or maims with its American bombs and European
      appeasement will be replaced by a hundred others. Only they
      will grow up into fanatical terrorists, who will fight against
      the Occupier a kamikaze guerrilla war, which Israel can never
      win. Foolishly, Israel breeds its own enemies.