Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Question about headress (Archbishop Hilarion pictures in Canberra)

  • Basil Yakimov
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 2, 2006
      No Michael - none of them are Old Believers... it is just tradition taken
      up by these 2 monastic communities & nothing more...

      morechoff@...
      Sent by:
      orthodox-synod@ya To
      hoogroups.com orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
      cc

      03/08/2006 02:59 Subject
      AM Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Question
      about headress (Archbishop Hilarion
      pictures in Canberra)
      Please respond to
      orthodox-synod@ya
      hoogroups.com

      Thanks for the replies.

      Is the priest in the picture
      http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/synod/eng2006/images/canberra9.jpg an
      Old Believer? Or did he just chose a klobuk that is similar to Old
      Believers?

      The nuns I was refering to is in this picture:
      http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/synod/eng2006/images/canberra13.jpg.

      Michael Orechoff
      Oxnard, CA

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 3, 2006
        On 03/08/2006, at 2:59 AM, morechoff@... wrote:

        > Thanks for the replies.
        >
        > Is the priest in the picture http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/
        > synod/eng2006/images/canberra9.jpg an Old Believer? Or did he
        > just chose a klobuk that is similar to Old Believers?

        No, Hieromonk Sergei (sp?) is not an Old Believer. All the monks at
        Holy Transfiguration Monastery wear that style of klobuk.

        Regards,

        Stephen

        --
        Stephen Shott
        Canberra, Australia

      • pavelvas11
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 3, 2006
          Steven,

          I do recall that you prayed at the Frankfurt parish during the 1990s
          while my family was stationed in Europe with the U.S. Army.

          Glad to hear that you are back home in Australia now!

          (My wife is the person who insisted that Tasmania still had
          cannibalism - a notion that you gallantly tried to refute, but
          without success! She is enroute to Almaty for a Fullbright
          assignment.)

          paul

          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Shott
          <stephen.shott@...> wrote:

          > On 03/08/2006, at 2:59 AM, morechoff@... wrote:
          >
          > > Thanks for the replies.
          > >
          > > Is the priest in the picture http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/
          > > synod/eng2006/images/canberra9.jpg an Old Believer? Or did he
          > > just chose a klobuk that is similar to Old Believers?
          >
          > No, Hieromonk Sergei (sp?) is not an Old Believer. All the monks
          at
          > Holy Transfiguration Monastery wear that style of klobuk.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Stephen
          >
          > --
          > Stephen Shott
          > Canberra, Australia

        • Stephen Shott
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 5, 2006
            Hello Paul,

            Nice to hear from you! I tried to email you when I returned to
            Australia but the army mail server returned my mail. Just then Yahoo
            rejected my reply to you ("This account has been disabled or
            discontinued"). You are a hard person to contact! :)

            Please send me an email address I can reach you at.

            Regards,

            Stephen

            --
            Stephen Shott