WE KINDLY APPEAL TO YOU TO HELP OUR CHURCH

  • Basil Yakimov
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2006
      WE KINDLY APPEAL TO YOU TO HELP OUR CHURCH (
      http://www.holy-transfiguration.org/)

      Dear brothers and sisters in Christ!

      With the blessing of His Eminence Metropolitan Laurus, we appeal to you
      with a heartfelt request to help our small parish cope with the great
      difficulty that has beset it.

      Our church building – which houses our church and is the site of our entire
      parish life – is over 100 years old. Besides the constant repairs that it
      requires by virtue of its venerable age, several times it has demanded
      “catastrophic” repairs from us due to the negligence to which the building
      was subjected during a 12-year period in which the church had no rector.

      Now we are faced with yet another catastrophic repair that surpasses all
      previous ones. It turns out that there have long been leaks in the roof and
      in the drainage system, which due to the ancient construction of the
      building were not immediately apparent. Gradually water from snow and rain
      poured under the roof and into two walls of the facade, until all the wood
      rotted and the very brick began to crumble.

      The cost of the necessary repairs far exceeds the very modest funds that
      the church possesses. Moreover, our expenses for repairing the facade are
      greatly complicated and increased by the fact that the church building has
      been placed in the category of historic edifices, and city laws require all
      restorations to be done in keeping with its original style.

      We kindly ask you to help us, dear brothers and sisters, and may the
      All-merciful Lord Himself reward you a hundredfold for your generosity and
      concern for His abode! Please send all contributions to the church address,
      marked for the “Renovation Fund.” Thank you and God bless you!

      Transfiguration of our Lord Russian Orthodox Church
      2201 E. Baltimore St.,
      Baltimore, MD 21231 USA

      With love in Christ,
      Rector Ioann Barbus