St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco on Repentance of Compromised Hierarchs

  • Mike Woodson
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2006
      "The Lord God, Who prserved seven thousand men who did not bend the knee
      to Baal in the days of Elias, today also has a multitude of His servants
      who secretly serve and pray to Him throughout the whole expanse of the
      Russian Land. Even among the hieararchs outwardly subject to the Soviet
      Regime, many are inwardly tormented by this; when the opportunity comes,
      they will act according to the example of those at the Council of
      Chalcedon who declared with tears that they had given their signatures
      at the Robber Council under coercion, following the example of the Most
      Holy Patriarch Paul, who was tortured by his conscience and took the
      Schema in recognition of his weakness under the Iconoclasts."

      from The Russian Orthodox Church Abroad: A Short History, p. 37.

      And here is some history on that topic:

      For, when the most holy Patriarch Paul, by the divine will, was about
      to be liberated from the bands of mortality and to exchange his earthly
      pilgrimage for a heavenly home with his Master Christ, he abdicated the
      Patriarchate and took upon him the monastic life, and when we asked
      him, Why hast thou done this? he answered, Because I fear that, if
      death should surprise me still in the episcopate of this royal and
      heaven-defended city, I should have to carry with me the anathema of
      the whole Catholic Church, which consigns me to that outer darkness
      which is prepared for the devil and his angels; for they say that a
      certain synod hath been held here in order to the subversion of
      pictures and images which the Catholic Church holds, embraces, and
      receives, in memory of the persons whom they represent. This is that
      which distracts my soul -- this is that which makes me anxiously to
      enquire how I may escape the judgment of God -- since among such men I
      have been brought up and with such am I numbered. No sooner had he thus
      spoken in the presence of some of our most illustrious nobles than he
      expired.
      --from The Imperial Sacra. Read at the First Session. (Found in Labbe
      and Cossart, Concilia, Tom. VII., col. 49.) page 531.

      with permission from Medieval Sourcebook: The Second Council of Nicea,
      787 AD <http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/basis/nicea2.html> .