Re: Question about headress (Archbishop Hilarion pictures in Canberra)

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2006
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Basil Yakimov <byakimov@...> wrote:

      > If you look at what his Grace Bishop Daniel wears as a Klobuk - you will
      > notice that the monastics in the Transfiguration Monastery & the
      > Presentation Monastic (Convent) Community wear similar Klobuks (as per some
      > of the photos posted on the Synod site). This tradition was chosen by
      > Father Archimandrite Alexis of the Transfiguration Monastery many years ago
      > & we in Australia are used to it by now...

      JRS: His Grace, Bishop Daniel wears the traditional klobuk of the Old Believers. He also
      wears, like the other Old Believer bishops (as can be seen at the website of the
      Belokrinitsky Synod) a "caped" cassock without the full sleeves of the modern cut, with a
      short cape that covers from the shoulders to the elbows, and has red "piping".

      Incidentally, the "rounded" type of klobuk worn by the Russian Patriarchs (also the
      Georgian Patriarch) is similar, because it goes back to pre-Nikonian forms.

    • morechoff@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 2, 2006
        Thanks for the replies.

        Is the priest in the picture http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/synod/eng2006/images/canberra9.jpg an Old Believer? Or did he just chose a klobuk that is similar to Old Believers?

        The nuns I was refering to is in this picture: http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/synod/eng2006/images/canberra13.jpg.

        Michael Orechoff
        Oxnard, CA

        > If you look at what his Grace Bishop Daniel wears as a Klobuk - you will
        > notice that the monastics in the Transfiguration Monastery & the
        > Presentation Monastic (Convent) Community wear similar Klobuks (as per some
        > of the photos posted on the Synod site). This tradition was chosen by
        > Father Archimandrite Alexis of the Transfiguration Monastery many years ago
        > & we in Australia are used to it by now...

        JRS: His Grace, Bishop Daniel wears the traditional klobuk of the Old Believers. He also
        wears, like the other Old Believer bishops (as can be seen at the website of the
        Belokrinitsky Synod) a "caped" cassock without the full sleeves of the modern cut, with a
        short cape that covers from the shoulders to the elbows, and has red "piping".

        Incidentally, the "rounded" type of klobuk worn by the Russian Patriarchs (also the
        Georgian Patriarch) is similar, because it goes back to pre-Nikonian forms.

      • Basil Yakimov
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 2, 2006
          No Michael - none of them are Old Believers... it is just tradition taken
          up by these 2 monastic communities & nothing more...

          morechoff@...
          Sent by:
          orthodox-synod@ya To
          hoogroups.com orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
          cc

          03/08/2006 02:59 Subject
          AM Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Question
          about headress (Archbishop Hilarion
          pictures in Canberra)
          Please respond to
          orthodox-synod@ya
          hoogroups.com

          Thanks for the replies.

          Is the priest in the picture
          http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/synod/eng2006/images/canberra9.jpg an
          Old Believer? Or did he just chose a klobuk that is similar to Old
          Believers?

          The nuns I was refering to is in this picture:
          http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/synod/eng2006/images/canberra13.jpg.

          Michael Orechoff
          Oxnard, CA

          > If you look at what his Grace Bishop Daniel wears as a Klobuk - you will
          > notice that the monastics in the Transfiguration Monastery & the
          > Presentation Monastic (Convent) Community wear similar Klobuks (as per
          some
          > of the photos posted on the Synod site). This tradition was chosen by
          > Father Archimandrite Alexis of the Transfiguration Monastery many years
          ago
          > & we in Australia are used to it by now...

          JRS: His Grace, Bishop Daniel wears the traditional klobuk of the Old
          Believers. He also
          wears, like the other Old Believer bishops (as can be seen at the website
          of the
          Belokrinitsky Synod) a "caped" cassock without the full sleeves of the
          modern cut, with a
          short cape that covers from the shoulders to the elbows, and has red
          "piping".

          Incidentally, the "rounded" type of klobuk worn by the Russian Patriarchs
          (also the
          Georgian Patriarch) is similar, because it goes back to pre-Nikonian forms.

        • Gilbert Gamboa
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 2, 2006
            morechoff@... wrote: Thanks for the replies.

            Is the priest in the picture http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/synod/eng2006/images/canberra9.jpg an Old Believer? Or did he just chose a klobuk that is similar to Old Believers?

            The nuns I was refering to is in this picture: http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/synod/eng2006/images/canberra13.jpg.

            Michael Orechoff
            Oxnard, CA

            > If you look at what his Grace Bishop Daniel wears as a Klobuk - you will
            > notice that the monastics in the Transfiguration Monastery & the
            > Presentation Monastic (Convent) Community wear similar Klobuks (as per some
            > of the photos posted on the Synod site). This tradition was chosen by
            > Father Archimandrite Alexis of the Transfiguration Monastery many years ago
            > & we in Australia are used to it by now...

            JRS: His Grace, Bishop Daniel wears the traditional klobuk of the Old Believers. He also
            wears, like the other Old Believer bishops (as can be seen at the website of the
            Belokrinitsky Synod) a "caped" cassock without the full sleeves of the modern cut, with a
            short cape that covers from the shoulders to the elbows, and has red "piping".

            Incidentally, the "rounded" type of klobuk worn by the Russian Patriarchs (also the
            Georgian Patriarch) is similar, because it goes back to pre-Nikonian forms.

          • Stephen Shott
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 3, 2006
              On 03/08/2006, at 2:59 AM, morechoff@... wrote:

              > Thanks for the replies.
              >
              > Is the priest in the picture http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/
              > synod/eng2006/images/canberra9.jpg an Old Believer? Or did he
              > just chose a klobuk that is similar to Old Believers?

              No, Hieromonk Sergei (sp?) is not an Old Believer. All the monks at
              Holy Transfiguration Monastery wear that style of klobuk.

              Regards,

              Stephen

              --
              Stephen Shott
              Canberra, Australia

            • pavelvas11
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 3, 2006
                Steven,

                I do recall that you prayed at the Frankfurt parish during the 1990s
                while my family was stationed in Europe with the U.S. Army.

                Glad to hear that you are back home in Australia now!

                (My wife is the person who insisted that Tasmania still had
                cannibalism - a notion that you gallantly tried to refute, but
                without success! She is enroute to Almaty for a Fullbright
                assignment.)

                paul

                --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Shott
                <stephen.shott@...> wrote:

                > On 03/08/2006, at 2:59 AM, morechoff@... wrote:
                >
                > > Thanks for the replies.
                > >
                > > Is the priest in the picture http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/
                > > synod/eng2006/images/canberra9.jpg an Old Believer? Or did he
                > > just chose a klobuk that is similar to Old Believers?
                >
                > No, Hieromonk Sergei (sp?) is not an Old Believer. All the monks
                at
                > Holy Transfiguration Monastery wear that style of klobuk.
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Stephen
                >
                > --
                > Stephen Shott
                > Canberra, Australia

              • Stephen Shott
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 5, 2006
                  Hello Paul,

                  Nice to hear from you! I tried to email you when I returned to
                  Australia but the army mail server returned my mail. Just then Yahoo
                  rejected my reply to you ("This account has been disabled or
                  discontinued"). You are a hard person to contact! :)

                  Please send me an email address I can reach you at.

                  Regards,

                  Stephen

                  --
                  Stephen Shott