Re: Anathematakis

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 27 11:33 AM
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Bushunow <cafeconlechemom@...>
      wrote:

      > Fr. John Shaw's "I'm Joe Kleveshchenko" is based on the root word
      > "klevetat'" which means to slander or libel.
      > The "shch" is a pejorative infix which sometimes also indicates a large
      > size.

      JRS: But not in that root. That's just the way that verb conjugates in Russian: "kleveshchu,
      kleveshchesh..."

      > The "enko" ending indicates a person of Ukrainian... descent, ... If he is using
      > a Ukrainian-type last name as a slur ... that's
      > just Orthodoxy-for-all-nations love shining through.

      JRS: In reality, many Russians have "-enko" surnames. It just sounded better than
      "Klevetanin" or "Klevetnitsyn".

      If I had called the ostensible Greek priest "Fr. Anathematakis" instead of "Anathematistes",
      it would have indicated Cretan origin; "Anathematoglou" would have pointed to Asia Minor.

    • Hristofor
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 27 12:46 PM
        On 7/27/06, Fr. John R. Shaw <vrevjrs@...> wrote: >JRS: In reality, many Russians have "-enko" surnames. It just sounded better than >"Klevetanin" or "Klevetnitsyn". As do Belorussians. President Lukashenko for one. I don't see any "slur" here. >If I had called the ostensible Greek priest "Fr. Anathematakis" instead of >"Anathematistes", it would have indicated Cretan origin; "Anathematoglou" would have >pointed to Asia Minor. Hah! That reminds me of the story our Greek neighbor told us. All her friends and families advised her against her pending "mixed marriage." Was she marrying a Black, Hispanic, Asian or posibly an Italian or German? No. Her family hailed from mainland Greece and her fiance was of Cypriot heritage (or should that be "Cyprian"?) On 7/27/06, V. Boitchenko <tompkins440@...> wrote: >For the last two years (EVERY DAY) I have been getting the same e-mail from Vertograd >Disinform "Rassylka 385. Knuty i prianiki prszidenta." Am I the only one getting it? No, but occasionaly get messages in French regarding the razkolniki. On 7/27/06, Fr. Alexander Lebedeff <lebedeff@...> wrote: Archbishop Antony Orloff has issued "final appeals" to Bishops Bartholomew, Vladimir, Anthony (of Belsk, Moldavia), and Anastassy to show up at Mansonville no later than yesterday, July 26, so that they could participate in the ongoing "Sobor" and "elect a worthy Metropolitan" just as Metropolitan Philaret was elected during the life of Metropolitan Anastassy. Does mean that Abp Anthony has taken possession of the Mansonville property (at least up until the lawsuit which is sure to follow)? Or are both sides occupying the property? God save Met. Vitaly from both sides. Koshmar!
      • kseniya k
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 27 2:11 PM
          Fr. John, i have a different experience in a Russian church where the creed is spoken, not sung. its uptown Manhattan church on 97th and Madison Ave.
          Oksana

          wrote:

          > And quibbling about "singing" the Creed rather than "reading" it, like
          > "writing" rather than "painting" icons, is another round in the in the
          > Holier-Translation-than-Thou game (one of my favorite games).

          JRS: My point was that "Singing Mountains" claims to know all kinds of arguments against
          the MP, but does not know that the Creed is sung in Russian churches.

          The Greeks (as in HOCNA) do read, as opposed to singing, the Creed, Lord's Prayer, and
          "Having Seen the Resurrection of Christ" among other things.

          So, if someone makes a little slip like that, I tend to think of HOCNA right away.

        • DDD
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 27 7:55 PM
            Not only little slips like that, but also little things like not signing his name in his posts, make one think of Brookline right away.

            But as to "writing" icons... The verb is "graphein," right? (write? :) As in "graphics".... Instead of saying "write an icon" it would be more accurate to say one "draws" both icons and letters.

            Dimitra Dwelley
            ROCOR
            Boston, Holy Epiphany parish

            wrote:

            > And quibbling about "singing" the Creed rather than "reading" it, like
            > "writing" rather than "painting" icons, is another round in the in the
            > Holier-Translation-than-Thou game (one of my favorite games).

            JRS: My point was that "Singing Mountains" claims to know all kinds of arguments against
            the MP, but does not know that the Creed is sung in Russian churches.

            The Greeks (as in HOCNA) do read, as opposed to singing, the Creed, Lord's Prayer, and
            "Having Seen the Resurrection of Christ" among other things.

            So, if someone makes a little slip like that, I tend to think of HOCNA right away.

            Messages in this topic (2) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
            Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Calendar

            You are receiving Individual Emails Change Delivery Settings
            Visit Your Group
            Yahoo! News
            Sports News
            Get up to the
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 28 4:30 AM
              --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, DDD <dimitradd@...> wrote:

              > But as to "writing" icons... The verb is "graphein," right? (write? :) As in "graphics"....

              JRS: The verb is "graphein" or "pisati" for any picture (not just an icon). These words are
              not equivalent to the English "write", since they have a different range of meaning.

              In Russian, for example, the same word ("ruka") means both "hand" and "arm". It simply
              has a different range of meaning than the English word "hand".

              In Russian, one says "napisat' portret", or "napisat' ikonu".

              I believe that in speaking and writing English, one should use normal English idioms.

            • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 28 7:33 AM
                Dimitra wrote:

                >But as to "writing" icons... The verb is "graphein," right?

                Yes, like in "photograph."

                So, those who would insist on saying "writing icons" should also,
                when they make a photograph, say that they are "writing" one.

                With love in Christ,

                Prot. Alexander Lebedeff