[orthodox-synod] Re: Saturday's NY Times

  • LJames6034@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2000
      Bless your heart, John Hoyle, neither do I.

      And, thanks to Father Ambrose in New Zealand, for supplying Bishop RAFAEL's
      letter. I sent his post to The NY Times, with the request that Bishop
      RAFAEL's letter be published verbatim, as a corrective to the Saturday
      article.

      Will they do that? Probably not. Nevertheless, they cannot (at least the
      reader of the post cannot) fail to know we do, in fact, have something to say
      about the disinformation being assembled (from whatever source).

      Instead, if I know the print medium, they may focuse upon Bishop AFTIMIOS,
      who was, in fact, sent here by Moscow. He discovered girls. He left the
      Church and married. Then, he made bishops.

      Remarkable that no one thought to tell him Orthodox ordination does not work
      that way, isn't it?

      The "American Orthodox Church" with headquarters at Antioch, TN, is, I
      believe what remains of that struggle on Aftimios's part to do something,
      even if it was the wrong thing, to further the Orthodox Church in the USA.

      I put it that way, because I do not wish to denigrate his motives. I did
      not know him (obviously), and have no idea what he meant to do by what he
      did. I just know that the Augustinian notion of "indelible character"
      conferred at ordination is a Western, not an Orthodox position.

      Once Aftimios left his monastic orders, by marrying, he, likewise, if my
      reading of canon 6 of the Council in Trullo is correct (and it is!), gave up
      Holy Orders.

      Father Andrew (Laurence J. James, Ph.D.) in Ohio.