[orthodox-synod] Re: Saturday's NY Times

  • John Hoyle
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2000
      "If we do not answer, the Times article will be mistaken for the truth. "
      That's a mistake I never make.
    • LJames6034@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2000
        Bless your heart, John Hoyle, neither do I.

        And, thanks to Father Ambrose in New Zealand, for supplying Bishop RAFAEL's
        letter. I sent his post to The NY Times, with the request that Bishop
        RAFAEL's letter be published verbatim, as a corrective to the Saturday
        article.

        Will they do that? Probably not. Nevertheless, they cannot (at least the
        reader of the post cannot) fail to know we do, in fact, have something to say
        about the disinformation being assembled (from whatever source).

        Instead, if I know the print medium, they may focuse upon Bishop AFTIMIOS,
        who was, in fact, sent here by Moscow. He discovered girls. He left the
        Church and married. Then, he made bishops.

        Remarkable that no one thought to tell him Orthodox ordination does not work
        that way, isn't it?

        The "American Orthodox Church" with headquarters at Antioch, TN, is, I
        believe what remains of that struggle on Aftimios's part to do something,
        even if it was the wrong thing, to further the Orthodox Church in the USA.

        I put it that way, because I do not wish to denigrate his motives. I did
        not know him (obviously), and have no idea what he meant to do by what he
        did. I just know that the Augustinian notion of "indelible character"
        conferred at ordination is a Western, not an Orthodox position.

        Once Aftimios left his monastic orders, by marrying, he, likewise, if my
        reading of canon 6 of the Council in Trullo is correct (and it is!), gave up
        Holy Orders.

        Father Andrew (Laurence J. James, Ph.D.) in Ohio.