[orthodox-synod] Saturday's NY Times

  • LJames6034@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2000
      The NY Times ran an article, on Saturday, 29 Jan., which discussed the
      Orthodox and mentioned that Orthodox Christians used to attend Episcopal
      churches, before our own were established. The whole tenor of the article
      was with reference to the intercommunion of the Episcopal Church and the
      Lutherans.

      Having read the posting about the Greeks in Toronto, I wonder if the above
      article was not "planted," in some sense, a form of run-it-up-the-pole to
      see who salutes?

      Somewhere or the other, I have a letter written by an Antiochian archbishop
      to the Episcopalians, whom he regarded as having lied to him. In that
      letter, addressed to his own faithful on this continent, he forbade them to
      have association with the Episcopalians in sacred things.

      In my system of filing, I follow the "Everything has its place" formula, but
      it develops into "everything every place" system, in reality. Nevertheless,
      I can usually find things. It just takes me a while. Maybe one of you know
      of the above letter, and are better organized than I?

      If we do not answer, the Times article will be mistaken for the truth.

      L+
    • John Hoyle
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2000
        "If we do not answer, the Times article will be mistaken for the truth. "
        That's a mistake I never make.
      • LJames6034@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2000
          Bless your heart, John Hoyle, neither do I.

          And, thanks to Father Ambrose in New Zealand, for supplying Bishop RAFAEL's
          letter. I sent his post to The NY Times, with the request that Bishop
          RAFAEL's letter be published verbatim, as a corrective to the Saturday
          article.

          Will they do that? Probably not. Nevertheless, they cannot (at least the
          reader of the post cannot) fail to know we do, in fact, have something to say
          about the disinformation being assembled (from whatever source).

          Instead, if I know the print medium, they may focuse upon Bishop AFTIMIOS,
          who was, in fact, sent here by Moscow. He discovered girls. He left the
          Church and married. Then, he made bishops.

          Remarkable that no one thought to tell him Orthodox ordination does not work
          that way, isn't it?

          The "American Orthodox Church" with headquarters at Antioch, TN, is, I
          believe what remains of that struggle on Aftimios's part to do something,
          even if it was the wrong thing, to further the Orthodox Church in the USA.

          I put it that way, because I do not wish to denigrate his motives. I did
          not know him (obviously), and have no idea what he meant to do by what he
          did. I just know that the Augustinian notion of "indelible character"
          conferred at ordination is a Western, not an Orthodox position.

          Once Aftimios left his monastic orders, by marrying, he, likewise, if my
          reading of canon 6 of the Council in Trullo is correct (and it is!), gave up
          Holy Orders.

          Father Andrew (Laurence J. James, Ph.D.) in Ohio.