[orthodox-synod] TRIPARTITE TREE OF THE CROSS

  • TALLSCAPES@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2000
      Again we are at tone two. At matins at ode five, canon of the
      resurrection, we read "...for it was Thy will to be lifted up in the
      flesh upon the cypress, the pine and the cedar."

      On page 234 of THE HOLY LAND by Vassilios Tzaferis there is
      reproduced an icon of St Lot watering the Tree of the Cross. This
      icon at the Monastery of the Holy Cross in Jerusalem illustrates
      using a tree with a single trunk but three branches...each appearing
      to be that of a different kind of tree.

      Has anyone seen this icon? Is the text quoted above part of the
      original Octoechos of St. John of Damascus or a later accretion?
      The icon appears to be of more recent vintage, does anyone have
      specific knowledge of its origin?

      Peter Brandt-Sorheim...please feel free to forward my question to other
      Orthodox e-groups...perhaps somewhere someone will have information!