[orthodox-synod] Jan 27 - Jericho Update from AB Mark

  • Priest Seraphim Holland
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2000
      Today, Thursday, Jan. 27, 2000, Archbishop Mark, Abbot Alexis,
      Hieromonk Joachim, Abbess Moiseya and subdeacon George Brunot
      met with representatives of the Palestinian Administration to discuss the
      present situation in Jericho. Negotiations are very delicate, because all
      sides are trying to secure their own interest.
      Our interest is solely to secure the property for the sake of the Church
      and the continuity of a regular monastic life in the service of God and
      the pilgrims who visit the Holy Land. The proposal offered today by the
      PA is still unjust and cannot be accepted by us.

      The problem of pursuing in a legal manner the illegal seizure of the
      Church's property in Jericho is rendered next to impossible within
      Palestine due to the fact that the Palestinian Authority in the person
      Chairman Arafat has seized illegally our property and turned it over to
      another party, namely the church of Moscow. Therefore, rendering the
      rights of personal property is useless. Until the seizure is recognized as
      illegal, court proceedings are of no real value.

      We would hope that our people would be careful in what they say about
      the committee working on the Jericho issue and we ask that they pray
      for the committee instead of making judgments on the ground of
      unfounded allegations.

      We believe firmly that prayer on the side of all parties will do more good
      than conclusions and statements drawn by parties not present in
      Jericho to the full negotiations. The situation on the compound was
      more tense this evening. One of the sisters was barely allowed to come
      to the gate to speak with us and was being bullied by security forces to
      go back. At the same time, more Moscow people were introduced to the
      compound, thus rendering absurd any thought of equal treatment.

      We need the continued moral and spiritual support of our people and our
      supporters throughout the world to keep the issues of religious freedom
      and basic human rights in the daily consciousness of good and just
      people everywhere. We ask that you make the cause known in every
      possible arena, politically, socially, religiously, legally, mass
      communications etc.

      Jerusalem, Jan. 14/27, 2000
      +Archbishop MARK

      Priest Seraphim Holland St Nicholas Orthodox Church, Dallas, Texas, USA
      seraphim@... Ph:972/529-2754 MOBILE & VOICE MAIL 214 336-3464
      FAX: 603/908-2408 Home Address: 2102 Summit, McKinney, TX 75070, USA
      WEBMASTER FOR: St Nicholas Home Page - http://www.orthodox.net
      Official ROCOR Page - http://www.rocor.org
      10 questions (many subjects) http://www.orthodox.net/questions
      Thoughts on the Sunday gospels http://www.orthodox.net/sermons