Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Meletios Metaksakis, Metropolitan, Archbishop, Pope and unfortunate Patriarch

  • michael nikitin
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 6, 2006
      Fr.John thinks it unusual for the MP to indict Meletios Metaxakis' introduction of the new calendar, because the MP has new calendar parishes.

      Michael N

      "Fr. John R. Shaw" <vrevjrs@...> wrote: --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "myhrr101" <myhrr101@...> wrote:

      > ? this is getting silly..because it wasn't mentioned on the site the
      > piece was taken from you jump to the conclusion that he is
      > withholding information which he might or might not have because you
      > know it's on another site in its original russian? So what if it's
      > on the pravoslavie.ru site, did it orginate there?

      JRS: I did not make any accusations.

      But I had thought of translating that article myself, because it was unusual for such an
      indictment of Meletios Metaxakis' introduction of the new calendar to appear on a Moscow
      Patriarchate site.

      If you remove the article from its Patriarchal site, it loses part of its effect. It would not
      have been unusual at all to find it in "Orthodox Life" or in something published by the
      Greek OC's.

      > This article's inclusion on the MP site has not a lot to do with
      > needing or not needing to discredit the new calendarists, but
      > everything to do with discrediting the Ecumenical Patriarch.

      JRS: Discrediting a deposed Meletios Metaxakis does not per se discredit Pat. Bartholomew
      today. I am afraid Patriarch Bartholomew has done more of that himself, than any article
      about long ago events could achieve.

      Incidentally, "Myrrh" is only a nom de plume. I have no idea who you are. You could even
      be Patriarch Bartholomew...

    • myhrr101
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 6, 2006
        <vrevjrs@...> wrote:

        > I had been thinking of translating it myself, because for the most
        part we only hear such
        > things from those who have their own axe to grind, their own
        positions to support. The
        > Moscow Patriarchate does not need to discredit the new
        calendarists, which makes this
        > article the more convincing.
        >
        > In Christ
        > Fr. John R. Shaw

        It's a source of constant wonder to me that priests of ROCOR have
        done so little research on The Moscow Patriarchate, which name by
        the way is synonymous with the Russian Orthodox Church according to
        its own Statutes.

        The Moscow Patriarchate created by Stalin has every interest in
        publishing the metaxian history as it bolsters its own claim to
        Third Rome status on the world stage. Of course it can't push the
        uncanonical nature of Metaxakis' rise to power too far, but once it
        owns all Russian Orthodox worth bothering with it will be better
        able to convince the world to ignore its own beginnings. After all,
        everyone now accepts the MP as the Mother Church, don't they?

        Well, when you all commemorate your Great Lord Alexei II or his
        successor there will still be some wondering how so many left
        Christ's ecclesiology for the system He ruled against.

        Myrrh

        http://orthodoxeurope.org/page/3/15.aspx

        I.2. The Self-governing Churches, Exarchates, Dioceses, Synodal
        departments, Deaneries, Parishes, Monasteries, Brotherhoods,
        Sisterhoods, Theological educational institutions, Missions,
        Representations and Church representations (hereinafter
        called `canonical units'), which constitute the Russian Orthodox
        Church, canonically comprise the Moscow Patriarchate.

        `The Moscow Patriarchate' is another official name of the Russian
        Orthodox Church.

        IV.3. The name of the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia shall be
        mentioned during the divine services in all churches of the Russian
        Orthodox Church with the following wording: `For our Great Lord and
        Father (name), His Holiness the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia'.
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 6, 2006
          <vrevjrs@...> wrote:

          > Incidentally, "Myrrh" is only a nom de plume. I have no idea who
          you are. You could even
          > be Patriarch Bartholomew...
          >
          > In Christ
          > Fr. John R. Shaw

          I can assure you I am no one of any position at all, just yer bog
          standard member of Christ's Jurisdiction wandering through the
          Orthodox communities in cyberspace, in these interesting times...

          Myrrh
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 6, 2006
            --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "myhrr101" <myhrr101@...> wrote:

            > It's a source of constant wonder to me that priests of ROCOR have
            > done so little research on The Moscow Patriarchate...

            JRS: A source of constant wonder to me: that anonymous posters on the internet, who
            refuse to identify themselves but criticize others, expect to be taken seriously.