Re: [orthodox-synod] Bishop Varnava reinstated in ROCOR

  • gene703
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4 3:01 PM
      Thank God !!!
      A big step towards putting our own house back in order
      By the way, does this make all the Mansonville "bishops" officially null and void ?

      Gene T

      "Fr. John R. Shaw" <vrevjrs@...> wrote:
      Today the ROCOR website (in the Russian section only) carried the announcement that
      Bishop Varnava, formerly of Cannes, has been reinstated in the Russian Orthodox Churcb
      Outside Russia.

      The Synod of Bishops accepted his profession of repentence for his uncanonical actions in
      the past, and reinstated him, but with the proviso that he may celebrate the Divine Liturgy
      only in his parish in Cannes, where he is the pastor, but is now a retired bishop.

      Bishop Varnava is not allowed to ordain clergy, to give awards, and he will not take part in
      the work of the Synod or the Sobor of Bishops.

      Yesterday, on July 2 2006, Bishop Gabriel of Manhattan concelebrated with Bishop
      Varnava.

    • DDD
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 6 10:13 AM
        On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 15:01:57 -0700 (PDT), gene703 wrote:
        Thank God !!!
        A big step towards putting our own house back in order
        By the way, does this make all the Mansonville "bishops" officially null and void ?

        Weren't they null and void anyway?

        --Dimitra Dwelley
      • gene703
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 6 1:52 PM
          Well Dimitra, yes and no

          On one hand this whole Mansonville affair did look rather farcial from the beginning. It became even more farcial in the last couple of weeks with the 10 or so active participants going through their own schism, mutual excommunications and accusation of being a hidden Jew

          On the other hand two real Bishops - Vitaly and Varnava officiated at their investiture, so to speak.

          Seriously, I am praying real hard for the other shoe to drop - the return of retired Mp. Vitaly. With the SF Sobor firmly rejecting the immediate unification 5 years after he left in protest over the negotiations with MP there is no reason for him to stay away. Everything did turn out his way. Woldn't it be nice to attend a liturgy where both retired Mp. Vitaly and current Mp. Laurus were in attendance ? Pray with me.

          Gene T