Re: Bishop Varnava reinstated in ROCOR

  • romanraskolnikov
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2006
      Fr John
      this move may be a bit more complicated than first thought. Bishop
      Varnava was at the premiere of the movie the da vinci code at which
      he stated that he "blesses" the film. The MP has vociferously
      objected to the film for obvious reasons. There were many protests
      to the film in Moscow and in other Russian regions. There are
      bumper stickers in Moscow reading "Buy a ticket to da Vinci code,
      sell Christ". What implications does this carry for both ROCOR
      itself and for the unification talks with MP? I think there should
      have been some statement made on this particular matter as well.

      <vrevjrs@...> wrote:

      > Today the ROCOR website (in the Russian section only) carried the
      announcement that
      > Bishop Varnava, formerly of Cannes, has been reinstated in the
      Russian Orthodox Churcb
      > Outside Russia.
      >
      > The Synod of Bishops accepted his profession of repentence for his
      uncanonical actions in
      > the past, and reinstated him, but with the proviso that he may
      celebrate the Divine Liturgy
      > only in his parish in Cannes, where he is the pastor, but is now a
      retired bishop.

      > Bishop Varnava is not allowed to ordain clergy, to give awards,
      and he will not take part in
      > the work of the Synod or the Sobor of Bishops.
      >
      > Yesterday, on July 2 2006, Bishop Gabriel of Manhattan
      concelebrated with Bishop
      > Varnava.
      >
      > In Christ
      > Fr. John R. Shaw

    • gene703
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2006
        Thank God !!!
        A big step towards putting our own house back in order
        By the way, does this make all the Mansonville "bishops" officially null and void ?

        Gene T

        "Fr. John R. Shaw" <vrevjrs@...> wrote:
        Today the ROCOR website (in the Russian section only) carried the announcement that
        Bishop Varnava, formerly of Cannes, has been reinstated in the Russian Orthodox Churcb
        Outside Russia.

        The Synod of Bishops accepted his profession of repentence for his uncanonical actions in
        the past, and reinstated him, but with the proviso that he may celebrate the Divine Liturgy
        only in his parish in Cannes, where he is the pastor, but is now a retired bishop.

        Bishop Varnava is not allowed to ordain clergy, to give awards, and he will not take part in
        the work of the Synod or the Sobor of Bishops.

        Yesterday, on July 2 2006, Bishop Gabriel of Manhattan concelebrated with Bishop
        Varnava.

      • DDD
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 6, 2006
          On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 15:01:57 -0700 (PDT), gene703 wrote:
          Thank God !!!
          A big step towards putting our own house back in order
          By the way, does this make all the Mansonville "bishops" officially null and void ?

          Weren't they null and void anyway?

          --Dimitra Dwelley
        • gene703
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 6, 2006
            Well Dimitra, yes and no

            On one hand this whole Mansonville affair did look rather farcial from the beginning. It became even more farcial in the last couple of weeks with the 10 or so active participants going through their own schism, mutual excommunications and accusation of being a hidden Jew

            On the other hand two real Bishops - Vitaly and Varnava officiated at their investiture, so to speak.

            Seriously, I am praying real hard for the other shoe to drop - the return of retired Mp. Vitaly. With the SF Sobor firmly rejecting the immediate unification 5 years after he left in protest over the negotiations with MP there is no reason for him to stay away. Everything did turn out his way. Woldn't it be nice to attend a liturgy where both retired Mp. Vitaly and current Mp. Laurus were in attendance ? Pray with me.

            Gene T