Many black Christians join move to Orthodox traditions

  • Hristofor
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 25, 2006
      http://www.baxterbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060624/NEWS01/606240308/1002/NEWS01

      Likewise, should we expect a wave of conservative converts from the Episcopal church, as their church moves away from their more traditional roots?
    • Gerald Herrin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 25, 2006
        Don't count on it. Most "conservatives" (whatever that might mean in
        any given context) left years as the Prayer Book was changed beyond
        recognition ... along with a multitude of other things.

        Isaac (Gerald) Herrin

        On Jun 25, 2006, at 11:46 AM, Hristofor wrote:

        > Likewise, should we expect a wave of conservative converts from the
        > Episcopal church, as their church moves away from their more
        > traditional roots?

      • Patrick Cumbie
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 26, 2006
          At 11:46 AM 6/25/2006, you wrote:
          >Likewise, should we expect a wave of conservative converts from the
          >Episcopal church, as their church moves away from their more traditional roots?

          I seriously doubt it. When I left the Episcopal church 30 years ago,
          it was obvious that there was no interest in tradition. Additionally,
          the Episcopalians have a much worse ethnic problem than does
          Orthodoxy. Greeks, Russians, nor Serbs can hold a candle to the
          ethnic solidarity in Anglicanism. Little Gothic churches with red
          doors are dotted all over the landscape; trying to bring a touch of
          England to the lesser races.

          Patrick Cumbie

        • Stephen/Στέφανος
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 26, 2006
            Bravo, Patrick!

            Finally, after all the the converts complaining about the Orthodox being
            so ethnic, it's great that someone has pointed out how "ethnic" and
            ethnocentric many Anglo-Americans are!!! (I am not excusing the
            many Greeks and Russians who are not more welcoming to
            converts.......) Though they seem to be mellowing somewhat now, the
            British were some of the most "ethnic" (ethnocentric) people on earth,
            especially during the "superiority" days of the "Empire". Americans
            can also be VERY ethnocentric, traveling the world and demanding that
            everyone speak English, or as they ignorantly say: "This is America,
            speak 'American'". (Oh, and I an criticize them, I am after all,
            half Anglo-American and half Greek. I can freely criticize both, lol)

            Stephanos