"Enemies of the Church" lists

  • Theodora Wright
    Message 1 of 41 , Jun 25, 2006
      Since this is from an open site I forward this to you all with the
      questions, is this for real? Is this type of "Church" we want to be under?
      Much has happened that is just unbelievable. Lord have mercy.

      Theodora in The Mountains

      snip
      http://www.dioceseinfo.org/MEDIA_COVERAGE/Enemies_church.htm
      Credo.ru, 23-06-06 20:41

      Archpriests Dmitri Smirnov and Vsevolod Chaplin suggest placing lists of
      the “enemies of the Church” on Internet

      The Russian Orthodox Church, Moscow Patriarchate, should start compiling a
      list of its enemies and place the information on the Internet, declared the
      participants of the Round Table Discussion “Challenges of the time and the
      ways of development of the Church life”, which took place at the St. Daniel
      Monastery [Headquarters of the DECR - Ed.] on 23 June. Archpriest Dmitri
      Smirnov, the Head of the Department of Cooperation with the Armed Forces and
      Law and Order Agencies of the Synod of MP, suggested the creation of a site
      ‘Enemies of the Church’, which would state names, addresses and quotations
      from letters/speeches’, the “Weekly Journal” reported.

      Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin, Deputy Chairman of the Department of External
      Church Relations, Moscow Patriarchate, replied: ‘These lists are already
      compiled’. The protection of Church interests should be ‘the focus of joint
      efforts and the really mutual cause between Christians,’ he stressed.

      Evgenii Nikiforov, Head of the ‘Radonezh’ society, in his turn called
      peope to fight ‘multi-culturalism and poli-confessionalism’. He said, ’
      Russia is a national Russian Orthodox state. We must stress this point’.
      Nikiforov added gay people to the list of enemies of Orthodoxy. He said that
      they were ‘part of the globalisation project, whose aim is the
      de-Christianisation of the society’.

      Archpriest Dmitri Smirnov also said that he places his hopes with the
      ‘Church-educated youth who carry the pathos of missionary work’.
    • myhrr101
      Message 41 of 41 , Jul 6, 2006
        Hello again Malcolm, my first reply to you has got lost somewhere in
        the system, but you didn't miss anything, just a bit rambling on
        your theme.

        Myrrh

        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, malcolm robertson
        <mjriii2003@...> wrote:

        > ALHQWS ANESTH (XPICTOC BOCKRECE)
        >
        > Warm greetings to all in Christ.
        >
        > I have been a lurker on this site for sometime now and do feel
        the urge to chime in on a few points. Your patient indulgence is
        much appreciated.

        > 1. While the clergy are suppose to hold the truth of the faith
        in themselves (Mal. 2:6-8), to be deemed worthy of double honor (1
        Tim 5:16-18; 1 Tim 5:1f) and are to instruct the lost in the way (2
        Tim 4:1-3; Tit 1:8-10; 1 Tim 4:5-7), no one should view them as
        infallible (1 Tim 4:11-13) - at least not as we do the Apostles (2
        Thess. 3:13-15; 2 Tim 3:15-17; Acts 20:27 etc.). They are men too
        and accountable to God (James 3:1).

        > 2. The face of Russia is changing. She is no longer a closed
        or isolated society repressed by a godless communist regime.
        Nevertheless, although Orthodoxy may be the recognized state
        religion MOST Russians still consult their horoscopes for daily
        guidance instead of the living God who can act (Matt 7:6-12; John
        14:13-15). Russia is becoming in this regard much like America -
        with it's attendent problems and circumstances. The publishing
        houses and individual parishes will be forced to address new,
        unheard of, and challeging issues that the world will present in
        various forms (1 John 2:18; 1 Tim 4:1-6; 2 Tim 3:1-9 etc.). But the
        Word of God abides forever.

        > 3. A benighted laity in Orthodoxy should not be the norm. It
        ofttimes is not so. The right of the laity (Christ's sheep) to
        question and form opinions is not simply a civil right afforded by
        the constituion of the United States for it's citizens but is the
        inherant right of any human being - not the least of which and
        particularly Christians (Mat 7:15-23; 1 Cor.14:20, 29; Acts 20:27-
        38; 2 Tim 2; 1 John 2 :20, 27; also cf Matthew 23). Matthew 7:1-5
        does not forbid the formation of an opinion but the self-righteous,
        hypocritical condemnation of others.

        > 4. I am sure that the phrase "Enemies of the Church list"
        conjures up recollections of godless Soviet regime propaganda lists
        and tactics that are still quite pychologically disconcerting to
        many of us. However, the Church has always notified it's flock of
        the reality and real presence of such individuals. Even so
        Patriarch Tikhon did thus. The warnings issued to Israel about the
        surrounding godless nations and their abominable practices. The
        warnings of Jesus (Matt. 7:15ff; Matt 23: John 14:6; John 10 & 15);
        Paul (Philippians 3:17-21 & 3:1-3 et al); Peter (2 Peter 2); Jude;
        and John (1 John 2:22f; 4:1-3; 2 John 1:7-10; 3 John 9f). In
        addition the early Apostolic Fathers (Papias, Polycarp, Ignatius,
        Clement) and Apologists (Justin Martyr and Irenaeus) all spoke
        aginst identified "enemies" of the Gospel. Anathemas (the first
        issued by Paul (1 Cor. 16:32) have been issued by early Church
        councils (Nicea A.D. 325) and since. The infamous heretics Simon
        Magus (Acts
        > 8), Nicolaitanes et al (Rev 2 & 3), Cerinthus (Irenaeus 3.3;
        Eusebius Hist. Eccl, 3.28; 4:14), Marcion (Tertullian, Adv. Marc).,
        the Gnostic Basilides (Eusebius, Hist Eccl, 4.7.6-8), and the
        Gnostic Valentinus (Irenaeus, Adv Haer. 1.21.4-5; Epiphanius
        Haer.31).

        > But caution and circumspection must be exercised. A wholesale
        lump summing of individuals and organizations under the
        word "Enemies" can be quite problematic if not attended with sound
        theological reasons. It is one thing to defend the faith (cf Jude
        3). It is an entire other thing to adopt and execute with the none
        spiritual weapons of the world (cf Eph. 6:10-24).

        > At any rate I just wanted to chime in. I am of Russian descent
        and Russian is my mother tongue (although because of necessity
        English has the ascendancy). The closest Russian Orthodox
        congregation is too far away to be actively involved. Consequently
        I attend Church elsewhere.