Re: Statement of Bishop Agathangel

  • singingmountains
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 15, 2006
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Archpriest David Moser"
      <moserd@...> wrote:

      > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "singingmountains"
      > <singingmountains@> wrote:
      >
      > > Good morning. One can state anything as their position. ...
      > > Even as
      > > Metropolitan Laurus had announced in Australia earlier this year that
      > > the one chalice would not mean administrative absorption of the ROCOR
      > > by the MP, more than one Russian news outlet indicated otherwise.
      >
      > I'm not real sure what the point of this post was, but in response I
      > would like to quote from the opening section of the Resolution of the
      > IV All Diaspora Council, "in obedience to our Archpastor, Christ, with
      > complete trust and love of the pastors and laity to our First
      > Hierarch, His Eminence Metropolitan Laurus, and the Council of
      > Bishops, attest that as loyal children of the Holy Church, we shall
      > submit to Divine will and obey the decisions of the forthcoming
      > Council of Bishops."
      >
      > News sources say all kinds of things and one can quote (or misquote)
      > our hierarchs to give all kinds of impressions, however, in the end,
      > we do have to choose who we will believe and who we will trust. With
      > the other members of the Council, I trust our Metropolitan and our
      > Council of Bishops above all others and will accept what they declare
      > as true. Thus the "official position" of ROCOR, as declared by our
      > Metropolitan and the hierarchal Sobor, is indeed, the true meaning and
      > interpretation of events (despite what news sources and individual
      > clerymen or laymen might try to imply).
      >
      > Archpr. David Moser
      > St Seraphim of Sarov Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

      Dear Rev. Fr. David,

      Thank you for your response. You and others seem to make concerns
      that rejoinder not occur at this time in Russia's history, into an
      issue of whether such persons doubt the authority or discernment of
      our Metropolitan Laurus and our Bishops. I respectfully believe that
      this closes ears to the flock, and also intimidates the flock into
      silence even if they have rational input. The lowly must silence
      themselves before the high and wise, it seems you are saying.

      What I and others have raised for concern is NOT the issue of the
      discernment or honesty of our Metropolitan or Bishops in the ROCOR.

      Rather, most of us have pointed to the repetitive contradictions and
      dishonesty of certain Russian Federation (RF) media organizations
      under RF control and what it means that they have so strongly
      supported reunification now (if not yesterday) while forwarding some
      non-spiritual arguments for it (loss of Russianness, for example).
      Truly, many of the in-country Russian media have not been bona fide
      news organizations since the early 1990s. They have instead been
      issuers of the message of central authority from the Kremlin: both
      central governing and church authority. This says something about the
      agency, organization and propaganda of the RF and the MP as
      semi-hidden partners in this effort.

      And this partnership exists at a time of regression towards an
      authoritarian state in Russia that puts controlling the church for
      political clout above actually supporting the spiritual growth in
      Russian society and letting the rest follow, i.e. "Seek ye first . .
      ." Understand: if Caesar renders unto the church, the Church will be
      indebted to Caeasar. Perhaps more on this later.

      There are very real reasons right now, to include the rise of both
      communist and fascist sympathies in Russia, not to throw the power of
      the One Russian Church into drive just yet. Some delicate work is yet
      to be done regarding hearts and minds before becoming joined to those
      in authority who have presided over this current passion-complex not
      rooted in God.

      We could discuss those problems applicable to our home too, but that's
      another discussion.

      Respectfully,
      Michael Woodson