Off topic, bed and breakfast near Jordanville for sale

  • matanna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 3, 2006
      Sometimes I come across things that are just interesting.
      There's a bed and breakfast for sale near Jordanville.
      I don't know the people, I found it while reading an article about historic
      properties and the dangers and advantages of restoring them. But every once in
      a while someone is looking for land near the monastery, and this is an
      already existing business. It costs $299,000.

      _http://historicproperties.com/detail.asp?detail_key=Neher004_
      (http://historicproperties.com/detail.asp?detail_key=Neher004)

      _http://historicproperties.com/more.asp?listing_id=neher004_
      (http://historicproperties.com/more.asp?listing_id=neher004)

      The site also had two other, more expensive properties listed.

      _http://historicproperties.com/detail.asp?detail_key=neher002_
      (http://historicproperties.com/detail.asp?detail_key=neher002)

      The site itself, HistoricProperties.com, is of interest because it features
      homes for $1, though none near us.

    • Gilbert Gamboa
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 3, 2006
        We(family) also have some property for sale in Cloudcroft ,New Mexico...I know Cloudcroft ? sometimes strange things are done and later realise it coulbe be benefiting for maybe a small skete as its in the middle of nowhere

        matanna@... wrote:
[...]

        Jewish orthodox Orthodox Orthodox church Greek orthodox church

      • Maureen Girard
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 3, 2006
          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, matanna@... wrote:
          Thank you for that link. I went exploring and it brought back some
          wonderful memories. Did you see the old Roosevelt estate? Misha R.
          bought and created a fortified area. There were armed guards,
          patrol dogs, and heaven knows what else. Then, he built his mansion.
          Years before that the monks used the old castle for a sound studio.
          The castle had had multiple uses. At one time it was a fashionable
          address and then years later it became a home for wayward kids. The
          kids tore the place up. I remember putting flowers on the old
          Roosevelt graves and then almost getting killed. I gently tapped a
          banister on one of the old balconies and the whole banister went
          flying toward the Mohawk River. I jumped back into the room a few
          seconds before the balconey joined the banister. The views from the
          castle are breathtaking but I wouldn't advise anyone to climb around
          past the first floor. Down in the basement there is a "tomb." The
          original occupant wanted to be buried there but she never was.
          Instead of the grand lady, the hole in the ground is now occupied by
          snakes. It resembles a scene from Indiana Jones.
          Oh well, enough of my rambling trip down memory lane. Thanks again.
          Maureen

          > Sometimes I come across things that are just interesting.
          > There's a bed and breakfast for sale near Jordanville.
          > I don't know the people, I found it while reading an article about
          historic
          > properties and the dangers and advantages of restoring them. But
          every once in
          > a while someone is looking for land near the monastery, and this
          is an
          > already existing business. It costs $299,000.
          >

          > _http://historicproperties.com/detail.asp?detail_key=Neher004_
          > (http://historicproperties.com/detail.asp?detail_key=Neher004)
          >
          > _http://historicproperties.com/more.asp?listing_id=neher004_
          > (http://historicproperties.com/more.asp?listing_id=neher004)
          >
          > The site also had two other, more expensive properties listed.
          >
          > _http://historicproperties.com/detail.asp?detail_key=neher002_
          > (http://historicproperties.com/detail.asp?detail_key=neher002)
          >
          > The site itself, HistoricProperties.com, is of interest because
          it features
          > homes for $1, though none near us.

        • Aleksandra Thompson
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 13, 2006
            I have been to it. I think it is called O Be Joyful . We stayed one night while at Jordanville over American Christmas. The breakfast was all lenten, although those who ran it were not Orthodox. I wonder why they are selling it?

            matanna@... wrote:
[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • cantor71
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 14, 2006
              I think O Be Joyful is a different place - the one listed for sale
              is in Herkimer, while the one you mention was in Jordanville. It
              seems OBJ has been closed a while, though.

              George
              Toronto

              --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Aleksandra Thompson

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 14, 2006
                I went on a search under o be joyful and it came up as sold also

                cantor71 <gskok@...> wrote: I think O Be Joyful is a different place - the one listed for sale

                wrote:

                > I have been to it. I think it is called O Be Joyful . We stayed
                one night while at Jordanville over American Christmas. The
                breakfast was all lenten, although those who ran it were not
                Orthodox. I wonder why they are selling it?

                > matanna@... wrote:
                > Sometimes I come across things that are just interesting.
                > There's a bed and breakfast for sale near Jordanville.
                > I don't know the people, I found it while reading an article about
                historic
                > properties and the dangers and advantages of restoring them. But
                every once in
                > a while someone is looking for land near the monastery, and this
                is an
                > already existing business. It costs $299,000.
                >

                > _http://historicproperties.com/detail.asp?detail_key=Neher004_
                > (http://historicproperties.com/detail.asp?detail_key=Neher004)

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • The Marquardts
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 14, 2006
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 15, 2006
                    Where did she go? When we stayed there she said she ran the b and b plus did substiutue teaching.

                    >I went on a search under o be joyful and it came up as sold also

                    Not exactly. Mary Ann (who used to run it) has left and it's now run by her
                    sister-in-law under the new name of "Higher Ground Bed and Breakfast"

                    -John

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • J Marquardt
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 15, 2006
                      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Aleksandra Thompson
                      <aleksandrasamuelevna@...> wrote:

                      > Where did she go? When we stayed there she said she ran the b and b
                      plus did substiutue teaching.

                      Last we heard from her she was in Oregon pursuing work as a librarian.
                      If you're interested in contacting her, e-mail me privately.

                      -John
                    • Aleksandra Thompson
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 15, 2006
                        That's ok , I was just curious. I don't think she would remember us anyway.

                        J Marquardt <TheMarquardts@...> wrote: --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Aleksandra Thompson