Re: [orthodox-synod] Saint Florian

  • Stephen/Στέφανος
    Message 1 of 8 , May 31 7:48 PM
      His name in Greek would be Florianos (Φλωριανός). I did a Google
      search in Greek and only found Φλωριανός: 276 μ.Χ., a Roman emperor.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florianus

      St. Florian, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Florian must be one
      of those Western Saints who would be/is recognized in the East, but not
      popular/well known.

      Stephanos

      Ferrari wrote:

      > I'm looking for an icon of Saint Florian. I don't know what his name
      > is in
      > greek or russian. He died a martyr in 304 somewhere near present day
      > Austria. All I have found are Roman Catholic paintings.
      > Any help is appreciated.
      >
      > Paul Ferrari
      > St Andrew Fool for Christ
      > Serbian Orthodox Church
      > Redding, Ca.
      > flue@...

      > Jewish orthodox
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Jewish+orthodox&w1=Jewish+orthodox&w2=Orthodox&w3=Orthodox+church&w4=Greek+orthodox+church&c=4&s=83&.sig=xn-jtj_UzrKSCU4FKIcmfQ>
      > Orthodox
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Orthodox&w1=Jewish+orthodox&w2=Orthodox&w3=Orthodox+church&w4=Greek+orthodox+church&c=4&s=83&.sig=jyZvbF4mRj_53fDiL0Upcg>
      > Orthodox church
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Orthodox+church&w1=Jewish+orthodox&w2=Orthodox&w3=Orthodox+church&w4=Greek+orthodox+church&c=4&s=83&.sig=Tdu1qoQgoX5aaWYstGCmbg>
      >
      > Greek orthodox church
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Greek+orthodox+church&w1=Jewish+orthodox&w2=Orthodox&w3=Orthodox+church&w4=Greek+orthodox+church&c=4&s=83&.sig=oVAEdVzOlclkwZEs7QYcMg>

    • Stephen/Στέφανος
      Message 2 of 8 , May 31 7:58 PM
        What a very ethnocentric, bigoted and "westo-centric" (occidocentirc?)
        comment: «the Greeks aren't even remotely aware of the western
        saints. The Russians usually are». How many Greek and Eastern
        Saints are not known in the West??? The Greeks do know a lot more
        Western Saints than you think, and they are learning more. A Greek
        Bishop translated the lives of many pre-schism British Saints into Greek
        some thirty years ago! I am sure there are many other such books.
        Also, St. Seraphim of Sarov and many other non-Greek Saints are very
        popular in Greece amongst pious Greeks.

        Stephanos,
        a Greek

      • Julio Vázquez
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2006
          Dear List,

          A blessed feast of the Ascension to all!

          I recently came across English translations of two "Passiones" of St
          Florian, which may be accessed at the following addresses:

          http://www.ucc.ie/milmart/BHL3054.html
          http://www.ucc.ie/milmart/BHL3058.html

          As for an icon, Paul, you might want to contact a Romanian monastery
          or parish bookshop, as "Florian" is a popular and common name in
          Romania. Perhaps they can help you locate one.

          With love in Christ,
          Julio Vazquez
          San Juan, Puerto Rico
        • antiquariu@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2006
            In a message dated 6/1/2006 9:49:35 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            sbuatl@... writes:

            What a very ethnocentric, bigoted and "westo-centric" (occidocentirc?)
            comment: «the Greeks aren't even remotely aware of the western
            saints. The Russians usually are».

            You got it, Stephanos, a Greek, but I stand by what I said, which in
            removing the qualifier that preceded, you managed to misquote. Every time I have
            asked my Sergiev Posad iconographers to come up with a special icon, they have.
            There is no doubt that there are, as you said, pious Greeks who are aware
            of St Seraphim -- hey, there are even pious Greeks who are aware of St Francis
            of Assisi, as evinced by the icon of St Francis I saw at several places in
            Greece, and I hear is even at Athos. But in truth, I've seen Saxon saints in
            Moscow; I've never seen the likes of Alcuin and Notker anywhere in Greece,
            nor even head of them, nor seen them in any calendar. Please, please, please
            make me eat my words. Hellenes may have done lots of cool stuff in there
            time, but the pre-Schism Orthodoxy that marked Western Europe is the same thing
            that is now being criticized as Western innovation. Don't forget that the
            Filio Que was added long, long, before the schism. I have seen an icon of
            Alcuin, but it dates back to Crusader times, and Alcuin was a peripheral figure.

            This may only be my warped way of looking at it, but I personally get the
            impression that the Greeks portray a smaller standard set of saints on their
            icons, whereas the Russians run the entire gamut. I am not a Russian. I
            strongly suspect that if I call Danilevsky Val and the workshops and ask for an
            icon of Wunibald, that I will get it. I doubt that will happen in Athens.

            No xenophobe, just a realist,

            Vova H.

            Incidentally, that miracle with the oil-exuding relics of St Walburga, one
            of the few which was approved in writing by the Holy Catholic and Apostolic
            Church, started after the translation of her relics to her reburial in Eich
            staett in 1042 from the sarcophagous she had been interred in in 875. Note the
            years