Orthodox converts

  • Joanne Gadzinski
    Message 1 of 145 , May 22, 2006
      CHRIST IS RISEN!

      I was wondering about the percentage of converts in ROCOR. Does anybody
      know?

      I ask because of the strong issues of ROCOR going back to the mother church
      and the father land. There are so many who were born of Russian families in
      North America (U.S. and Canada) and so many who converted. So I was just
      wondering if there should be a consideration of the parishoners who are not
      directly connected to Russia. Afterall, the Orthodox faith and the Orthodox
      church should not be limited to nationality. I, for one, love the Russian
      spirituality of the times of St. Seraphim of Sarov, but we don't live that
      now. We have to consider our place here. I am not Russian...I'm a convert
      and I think that we should have a North American Diocese that considers
      that.

      All I've heard was talks about getting back to the Russian homeland...but,
      I'm part of ROCOR and Russia is not my homeland. But, I love my priests and
      I love my parishoners, but I am not Russian.

      When I was with the Greeks, they wanted me to be Greek. When I am with the
      Russians, they want me to be Russian. Nobody wants me to be me. I am
      Polish. I converted to Orthodoxy. I am not Greek and I am not Russian.

      When will the clergy start considering those who come from outside their
      Russian world? And when will the hierachs start accepting that there are
      those who are not Russian in ROCOR? I'm sorry to say this, but the old
      generation is passing away. There are second and third generations of
      Russians that don't regularly come to church on Sundays because they can't
      feel any connection to it. But, I see so many of them on Pascha and
      Christmas...it would be of great benefit, if they could be brought back, on
      a regular basis. That would be a great joy.

      If there is a committee of converts, then please let me know. I would love
      to participate.

      Joanna Zenonova

      to offer.
      first two months FREE*.
    • singingmountains
      Message 145 of 145 , Jun 4, 2006
        <nikitinmike@...> wrote:

        > Why is it alright for the Serbian Church to be in the WCC, but
        > not the MP?
        >
        > Why are the faithful making a big deal about the MP being in WCC,
        but not the Serbs? I find this very disturbing.

        > This tells me we're wrong in concelebrating with the Serbian Church.
        >
        > Michael N

        If you equate the leadership, words and conduct of the MP leadership
        with that of the Serbian Church leadership, your point is well taken.
        However, if their ambition differs with regard to the WCC and perhaps
        even the Roman Catholic Church, that could be the beginning of your
        inquiry that would test your view that concelebrating with the Serbian
        Church is no different than doing so with the Russian Church under the
        MP leadership now in force.