Re: [orthodox-reunion] Narochnitskaya plea to Russians abroad

  • Gilbert Gamboa
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2006
      Freezing to death, we do not scheme. Starving to death, we do not beg. Dying of poverty, we ask for nothing. According with conditions, we do not change. Not changing, we accord with conditions. We adhere firmly to our three great principles. We renounce our lives to do the Buddha's work. We take the responsibility to mold our own destinies. We rectify our lives as the Sangha's work. Encountering specific matters, we understand the principles. Understanding the principles, we apply them in specific matters. We carry on the single pulse of the patriarchs' mind-transmission.

      "Nicholas A. Ohotin" <nohotin@...> wrote:
      02 May 2006, 10:47 State Duma deputy urges Russian Church Outside Russia not to doom itself to role of 'ethnographic museum of a bygone civilization'
      Moscow, May 2, Interfax - Natalia Narochnitskaya, a State Duma deputy and well-known historian, suggests that the Russian Church Outside of Russia should cast away doubts on restoring unity with the Moscow Patriarchate.

      "Today's doubts are like temptations endured by a person who wants to be baptized but the enemy of humankind whispers into his ear: Wait, you are not ready; don't do it today, do it tomorrow!" Narochnitskaya writes in her article published in Rossiyskaya Gazeta.

      However, she continues, there may no tomorrow. "At a time when all the forces in the world have united to prevent Russia from restoring her national and religious identity, the Russian people cannot see the virtue and truth of a Church which cannot set aside secondary matters and instead of offering an embrace, requests that a score be settled."

      "What kind of faith is it without all-forgiving love; what kind of Orthodox Christians are people who try to see the mote in a neighbor's eye; what kind of love for Russia is this if it is expressed as admiration for oneself rather than for Russia?" the author of the article asks.

      She points out to hesitant pastors and laity of the Russian Church Outside of Russia that today, while "Christian Europe has surrendered without resistance and is disappearing, it is post-Soviet Russia alone--however paradoxically--that is rising up."

      According to Narochnitskaya, "It is sad to read the words of lay emigres who, isolating themselves in an ivory tower, endlessly reiterate and project upon today's Russia and today's Russians the notions of 'the cursed days' and the demons of the 1920's. One must be completely and intentionally isolated from reality, and refuse to change anything, to fail to see how different today's Russians, today's Russia and her much-suffering Church are from antiquated cliches."

      "To pridefully and haughtily reject an outstretched hand today, to repel the hopes of Russian people who await the reunification of the family, leaving them with a sinking heart instead of a child's innocent joy would be a blow to Russia, especially since it comes not from an enemy but from a brother. It will by an irreparable insult to the sincerest of feelings of millions of people who have admired the labors of the Church Outside of Russia but never even suspected that these people, their own Russian brothers abroad, would treat them with such disdain," the author of the article believes.

      Along the same lines, Narochnitskaya asks: "Will such rejection devalue the achevements of the Russian emigres who preserved their Russian nature and faith in foreign lands, who nurtured in their hearts 'their lost Russia' and remained committed to it in love and faith?'

      "Do not then lose forever the true Russia which has survived through suffering and is now searching," she adds, urging the Russian Church Outside of Russia not to doom itself in "as an ethnographic museum of a bygone civilization, to a display-case existence outside of Russia and Russians in world history."

      (Published translation edited into standard American English)

      Nicholas A. Ohotin