Re: canonical obstacles

  • vlutchenkov
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2 8:51 AM
      XPICTOC BOCKPECE!!!!

      Ahh Mr.Nikitin replied. (My apology for think he would not.)

      Mr. Nikitin: "Hope the letter below helps:"
      Vova: Yes it did. Especially the following portion of the letter.

      "The answer to this is simple. The Church has the authority in
      certain cases to employ the principle of economia condescension. The
      hierarch Saint Basil the Great said that, in order not to drive many
      away from the Church, it is necessary sometimes to permit
      condescension and not apply the church canons in all their severity."

      Vova: Mr. Nikitin, please remember that a Metropolitan is like the
      Chairman of the Board. He is of course free to express and write his
      opinions. However, when it comes time to vote he gets ONE vote.
      Decisions of the Council of Bishops are voted on and majority rules.
      In addition, if I am not mistaken the letter you offered
      as "evidence" was written to a priest within the Diocese of the
      writer. That is also important as far as the Church is structured.

      In Christ,
      Vova

      <nikitinmike@...> wrote:

      > So I wouldn't be understood, I am including a letter from our
      previous first hierarch, Holy Metr.Philaret, to make what some may
      not understand clearer.

      > I also stated joining ROCOR, who has stayed on the true path, not
      for ROCOR to join the uncanonical, schismatic creation of Stalin as
      the Western Dioscese called the MP.

      > Hope the letter below helps:
      >
      > Michael N
      >
      > A LETTER FROM METROPOLITAN PHILARET (VOZNESENSKY) TO A PRIEST OF
      > THE CHURCH ABROAD CONCERNING FATHER DIMITRY DUDKO AND THE
      > MOSCOW PATRIARCHATE
      >
      > Exerpts from St.Metr.Philaret's letter:
      > Now a few words on the tragedy of poor Father Dimitry Dudko.
      >
      > From the very beginning of his activities, when his name was being
      mentioned
      > more and more often as a pillar of Orthodoxy, and moreover, the
      members of
      > the Synod, the hierarchs, were joining
      > their voices to this; I, however, the author of these lines,
      immediately
      > kept out of it and forewarned my fellow hierarchs that a disaster
      might
      > happen here. How so? Because in the USSR, according
      > to the premise of Archimandrite Constantine, there is now a satan-
      ocracy.
      > There rules he whom the Saviour called a liar and the father of
      lies. This
      > lie reigns there. Therefore one cannot trust
      > anything that occurs there. Any seemingly spiritually encouraging
      fact may
      > turn out to be a falsification, a forgery, a deception, or a
      provocation...

      > Why did this calamity befall Father Dimitry Dudko? Let's assume the
      best,
      > not suspecting him of conscious collaboration with the KGB and
      betrayal of
      > his convictions, but simply noting the sad
      > fact that he did not endure, but was broken; he capitulated before
      the
      > enemies of the Church. Why? It would seem that he did display
      courage and
      > daring; and then suddenly, such an inglorious end. Why?! Because
      his
      > activity took place outside of the true Church...
      >
      > What then is the Soviet church? Archimandrite Constantine has often
      and
      > insistently stated that the most horrible thing that the God-hating
      regime
      > has done in Russia is the creation of the Soviet
      > Church, which the Bolsheviks presented to the people as the true
      Church,
      > having driven the genuine Orthodox Church into the catacombs or
      into the
      > concentration camps.
      >
      > This pseudo-church has been twice anathematized. His Holiness
      Patriarch
      > Tikhon and the All-Russian Church Sobor anathematized the
      Communists and all
      > their collaborators. This dread anathema has not been lifted till
      this day
      > and remains in force, since it can be lifted only by a similar All-
      Russian
      > Church Sobor, as the canonical supreme ecclesiastical authority.
      And a
      > terrifying thing happened in 1927, when the head of the Church,
      Metropolitan
      > Sergius, by his infamous and
      > apostate Declaration, subjected the Russian Church to the
      Bolsheviks and
      > proclaimed collaboration with them. And thus in a most exact sense
      was
      > fulfilled the expression in the prayer at the beginning of
      Confession:
      > having fallen under their own anathema! For in
      > 1918 the Church anathematized all the confederates of Communism,
      while in
      > 1927 she herself joined the camp of these collaborators and began
      to laud
      > the red, God-having regime to laud the red beast spoken of
      > in the Apocalypse.
      >
      > As if that is not enough. When Metropolitan Sergius promulgated his
      criminal
      > Declaration, then the faithful children of the Church immediately
      separated
      > themselves from the Soviet church, and thus
      > the Catacomb Church was formed. And she, in her turn, has
      anathematized the
      > official church for its betrayal of Christ.
      >
      > And it was within this very church of evil-doers that the
      activities of
      > Father Dimitry Dudko occurred, who has frankly declared in the
      press that he
      > is not going to break with the Soviet church but will remain in
      her. Has his
      > spiritual eyes been open, and had he seen the true nature of the
      official
      > church, he might have found within himself the courage to say: I
      have hated
      > the congregation of evil-doers, and with the ungodly will I not sit
      I am
      > breaking off with the company
      > of the enemies of God, and I am withdrawing from the Soviet church.
      Why,
      > then for us he would have become one of our own his courage would
      have
      > destroyed the barrier which irrevocably stands between us by virtue
      of the
      > fact that the Sobor adopted as its guiding principle the Testament
      of
      > Metropolitan Anastasy. For in this Testament it is ordered that we
      must not
      > have any communion whatsoever with the Soviets, not only no
      communion in
      > prayer, but not even ordinary
      > contact in daily life. But as long as Father Dimitry would have
      refused to
      > remain in the Soviet pseudo-church, and would have withdrawn from
      membership
      > in her the barrier would no longer
      > have applied to him..........
      >
      > The hierarch Theophan the Recluse in his own day warned that a
      terrible time
      > was approaching when people would behold before their eyes all the
      > appearance of church grandeur solemn services, church order, and
      such while
      > on the inside there would be total betrayal of the Spirit of
      > Christ. Is this not what we see in the Soviet church? Patriarchs,
      > Metropolitans, all the priestly and monastic orders and at the very
      same
      > time, an alliance with the God-haters, that is, a manifest
      > betrayal of Christ.
      >
      > To this company belongs also Father Dimitry Dudko. Of course, his
      sincere
      > religious feelings compelled him to preach concerning God and not
      to condone
      > many of the disgraceful happenings in the lives of Russian people.
      But for
      > him, Pimen was, and likely still is,
      > his spiritual head, the head of the Soviet hierarchy; while for us,
      it is
      > not at all so. For our Sobor in 1971 passed a resolution:
      > on the basis of such and such canons to consider the election of
      Pimen as
      > unlawful and invalid, and to consider all his acts and decrees as
      having no
      > force or significance.
      >
      > How difficult is Father Dimitry Dudko's position now! What is he to
      do?
      > Continue his pastoral work? And what can he say to the faithful?
      Say the
      > same thing that he said before his repentance? But then, he has
      already
      > renounced this! Say the opposite? Why, they believed him before
      when he
      > preached that which won for him the trust and respect of the
      faithful and
      > now, how will he look them in the face? One girl correctly said
      that there
      > is one way out for him: make a genuine repentance in atonement for
      the one
      > he just now made. But in order to do
      > that he must depart from the church of the evil-doers for the true
      Church,
      > and there make his repentance. However, in return, the red church
      will
      > undoubtedly deal with him with particular malice
      > and cruelty. Of course, by crossing over to the true Church, he
      will pass
      > over into the realm of Divine grace and strength, which can fortify
      him just
      > as it fortified those catacomb nuns. God grant
      > that he find the true and saving path.
      >
      > I should also like to note the following. The Catacomb Church in
      Russia
      > relates to the Church Abroad with love and total confidence.
      However, one
      > thing is incomprehensible to the Catacomb Christians: they can't
      understand
      > why our Church, which realizes beyond a doubt that the Soviet
      hierarchy has
      > betrayed Christ and is no longer a bearer of grace, nevertheless
      receives
      > clergy of the Soviet church in their existing orders, not re-
      ordaining them,
      > as ones already having grace. For the clergy and flock receive
      grace from
      > the hierarchy, and if it [the hierarchy] has betrayed the Truth and
      deprived
      > itself of grace, from where then does the clergy have grace? It is
      along
      > these
      > lines that the Catacomb Christians pose the question.
      >
      > The answer to this is simple. The Church has the authority in
      certain cases
      > to employ the principle of economia condescension. The hierarch
      Saint Basil
      > the Great said that, in order not to drive many away from the
      Church, it is
      > necessary sometimes to permit condescension and not apply the
      church canons
      > in all their severity. When our Church accepted Roman Catholic
      clergy in
      > their orders, without ordaining them, she acted according to this
      principle.
      > And Metropolitan Anthony
      > [Khrapovitsky], elucidating this issue, pointed out that the
      outward form
      > successive ordination from Apostolic times that the Roman Catholics
      do have;
      > whereas the grace, which the Roman Catholic church has lost, is
      received by
      > those uniting [themselves to the
      > Church] from the plenitude of grace present in the Orthodox Church,
      at the
      > very moment of their joining. The form is filled with content, said
      Vladyka
      > Anthony.
      >
      > In precisely the same manner, in receiving the Soviet clergy, we
      apply the
      > principle of economia. And we receive the clergymen from Moscow not
      as ones
      > possessing grace, but as ones receiving it by the very act of
      union. But to
      > recognize the church of the evil-doers as the bearer and
      > repository of grace, that we cannot do, of course. For outside of
      Orthodoxy
      > there is no grace; and the Soviet church has deprived itself of
      grace.

      > In concluding my lengthy letter, I should like to point several
      things out
      > to you, Father. The Bishops' Sobor resolved to be guided by and to
      fulfill
      > the Testament of Metropolitan Anastasy, in which the late First
      Hierarch
      > bade us not to have any communion with the Soviet church
      > whatsoever, not only no prayerful communion, but not even ordinary
      contact.
      > On what basis then have you and other clergymen had direct
      relations with
      > Father Dudko? And have written him letters, etc.? No matter how
      sincere a
      > man you may have considered him to be, nevertheless, can your
      private
      > opinion annul a ruling adopted by the Church? Now, had Father Dudko
      said: I
      > am breaking with the official church and leaving her then you could
      have
      > entered into lively contact
      > with him. But in the absence of that, your actions constitute a
      violation of
      > ecclesiastical discipline. Dudko wrote to me personally, but I did
      not
      > answer him although I could have said much. By the
      > way, on what basis did you, even before this, take into your head to
      > commemorate an archbishop of the Soviet church during the Great
      Entrance?