Re: [orthodox-synod] Availability of Priests [was: Confirmation of Bishops]

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10 9:52 AM
      M. Orechoff wrote:

      > What is the situation with the number of priests available to serve? I am sure we do not
      >have enough priests for all the parishes and the average age of priests is increasing. Will
      >we have a shortage of priests just like Catholics do today?
      >
      > I can see down the road a need for priests and not just Bishops. Perhaps the priests could
      >come from the MP.

      JRS: We are already getting a certain number of priests from the Moscow Patriarchate, and
      lately there have been cases of canonical transfers from the MP to ROCOR.

      The reason for the shortage of priests in ROCOR (and it's nothing new!) is that becoming a
      priest is not a high priority among the 2nd and 3rd generations.

      ROCOR priests tend not to have an easy time of it: either financially, or in other forms of
      support from their flock.

      In families where the parish priest is ill-regarded, the likelihood of someone wanting to
      become a priest is even less.