Re: [orthodox-synod] What does it (Private List) mean?

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24, 2006
      Vladimir Sergeevitch Lutchenkov wrote:

      > As stated in my request to join this list my primary reason was
      > to "hear" the thoughts, opinions, and comments of other members of
      > ROCOR regarding the upcoming Sobor. This is my first posting to
      > this list. I appreciate being approved to participate in this
      > private list. Since it is private I assumed that what is posted to
      > this list should not appear anywhere else on the Internet.

      JRS: Unfortuntely, experience has shown that there are liable to be some people who do not
      respect "privacy" of lists, even on lists that are only for ROCOR clergy, where the discussions
      are supposed to be strictly confidential.

      On the other hand, there are some posters on these lists who conceal their identity, or
      pretend to be someone they are not.

      As for the San Francisco Sobor, there is a website under construction that will try to give
      abundant coverage of all sides of the issue and all shades of opinion (some shades being
      darker than others...).

      There has been quite a lot of discussion of the Sobor on the "Paradosis" (orthodox-
      tradition@yahoogroups.com) list, which tends to be pretty contentious, but is never dull.

      Milwaukee, WI
    • Rev Fr Mark Gilstrap
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 24, 2006
        > As for the San Francisco Sobor, there is a website under construction that
        will try to give
        > abundant coverage of all sides of the issue and all shades of opinion
        (some shades being
        > darker than others...).
        >
        > There has been quite a lot of discussion of the Sobor on the "Paradosis"
        (orthodox-
        > tradition@yahoogroups.com) list, which tends to be pretty contentious, but
        is never dull.

        in which George Skok reveals the identity of this website as being
        http://www.pravos.org and comments on its affilation.

        =========

        Web site title - via BabelFish:

        Information site of the commissions of the Russian Orthodox
        Church of the Moscow patriarchy and the Russian Orthodox Church
        by the foreign countries

        Registrant Name:Maxim Massalitin
        Registrant City:Herndon
        Registrant State/Province:VA
      • DDD
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 25, 2006
          I believe our official May Sobor web site is this one (which is now at least partially up, in Russian), and is supposed to be fully functional by the end of March:

          http://www.sobor2006.com/

          The one George mentioned, pravos.org, although it states that it is a joint effort of those who work on both the ROCOR and MP web sites, also states that it is *not* an official site, and that the various opinions expressed on it do not necessarily reflect the official Church positions. See the section on the front page: "O Proekte".

          Our site, sobor2006.com, is labelled "official."

          So I guess we have more than one site to look at. I hope the pravos site will be translated into English, and I am just assuming our "sobor2006" site will have the English as fast as it can get someone to translate it. No mean undertaking!

          I see a new article on the pravos.org site, the "Resolution of the Pastoral Conference of the Eastern American and New York Diocese. "

          http://www.pravos.org/docs/doc232.htm

          This one isn't all pro-union. An excerpt of the most significant part of the Resolution (my unofficial translation):

          "From the talks it is evident that there exist different points of view about this matter. Nevertheless, at the end of our discussion the clergy unanimously expressed the readiness to show obedience to the upcoming Bishops' Sobor. We cannot anticipate its final result. Therefore, we call upon our flock to fervently pray to our Heavenly Father that His will, only, be accomplished."

          The Resolution is dated 24 March 2006.

          I think we would all be wise (and Christian) to think about the meaning of these last three sentences and to emulate the attitude contained in them:

          1) Whether we are "for," "against," or somewhere in between, to pray that only God's will be done (not our own preconceived notions). The power of prayer is stronger than all arguments.
          2) To be obedient to the upcoming Bishops' Council that will be held after the general Sobor.
          3) Not to try to anticipate the final result of the Sobor. That is, not to say, "Ah--it's all pro-union," or "How many are for, how many against?" but just trust that God heard our prayers in Step 1 and will actually manifest His will in the decision of our bishops.

          --Dimitra Dwelley